"Can one be a diocesan priest and celebrate the TLM exclusively?"
From Rorate Caeli:

Can one be a diocesan priest and celebrate the traditional Mass exclusively?
A true motivational example

[We consider this to be one of our most relevant and inspiring posts ever.]

http://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2011/09...t-and.html

"Soon after the publication of the motu proprio Summorum Pontificum, three priests of the Diocese of Novara (Piedmont, Italy) tried to celebrate the Traditional Mass exclusively (we reported on these developments here and here).

In an interview released a few days ago, Father Alberto Secci tells his story, and presents us with the wonderful account of his life after Summorum. Yes, there is a life for diocesan priests celebrating the Sacraments according to the ancient use exclusively. And it can be beautiful, and powerful, and glorious, despite the normal difficulties of life.

"Can you imagine what would happen if all diocesan priests chose to do this?" This is the kind of weak argument one would expect to hear - it is not one that holds water, not with us, being on the same level as, "There should not be monks, for mankind would cease to exist if all men became exemplary monks": yes it would, but no they wouldn't... What we hope to provide by this example is that there can be comfort and consolation for that extremely small number of priests who choose to make use of their right of celebrating in the "Extraordinary Form" in a radical way. And why should that choice shock us? Almost all choose to celebrate the "Ordinary Form" in a radical and exclusive way, and they are not villified for this. There is tribulation in these priests's radical choice, and that is fine: the priests who choose this path must be completely aware that they will be removed, moved, transferred, demoted, despised, mocked and ridiculed, made an example; they will have to give up favors, ecclesiastical careers, sabbatical years, special appointments; but, thanks to Summorum, they may face all this in perfect peace of conscience, with a Mass, that, in the words of a great cardinal, provides "greater spiritual fruit". And, as for the tribulation, if you may modestly allow us to quote a great layman, "they therefore, I say, that are in tribulation, have on the other side a great cause to take in their grief great inward comfort and spiritual consolation." (St. Thomas More, "A dialogue of comfort against tribulation").

Summorum is the charter of manumission of traditional-minded priests; it is good that those who contemplate making the same radical choice of these Italian heroic priests know that they are not alone, that, when there is a will, there is a way. If at least one single diocesan priest is moved by this translation to at least consider the possibility of following this radical path, then all our work here in Rorate over all these years will have been worth every second. This is dedicated to you, dear diocesan priests: if they can do it, so can you....."

The rest of the article and amazing interview can found on this link:
http://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com/2011/09...t-and.html
The new generation of priests seems to be much more interested in traditional practice.  Many of the younger priests produced by Saint Michael's Abbey in Orange County are very attached to the TLM and tradition in general.  It shall be interesting to see where we are in another decade.
(09-08-2011, 04:40 PM)Roger the Shrubber Wrote: The new generation of priests seems to be much more interested in traditional practice.  Many of the younger priests produced by Saint Michael's Abbey in Orange County are very attached to the TLM and tradition in general.  It shall be interesting to see where we are in another decade.

Amen.

I also love the Abbey and everything it does in our community.  Praise the Lord.
My great joy as a pastor (some day, if God wants it) would be to start off by celebrating the TLM on big days and special feasts, but leaving the NO Mass for "regular" Sundays. The goal in the end would be to phase the TLM more and more into the picture until it overtakes it, saving the NO Mass for weekday Masses (if needed).  ;D I'm so happy these young men are getting proper formation in the classical faith. Please, God, call me via my bishop some day, so I may offer this glorious ancient sacrifice for Thy people!
(09-08-2011, 04:01 PM)SaintRafael Wrote: "Can you imagine what would happen if all diocesan priests chose to do this?" This is the kind of weak argument one would expect to hear - it is not one that holds water, not with us, being on the same level as, "There should not be monks, for mankind would cease to exist if all men became exemplary monks"

Can you imagine what would happen if all diocesan priests chose to say a Protestant Mass that radically departed from the teaching of the Church on the Mass? Oh, wait...that was news when my grandpa was my age.

There is no place in the Church for the Novus Ordo Mass. And here is the proof:
Quote:the priests who choose this path must be completely aware that they will be removed, moved, transferred, demoted, despised, mocked and ridiculed, made an example; they will have to give up favors, ecclesiastical careers, sabbatical years, special appointments;

The FSSP was set up to have an order of priests who would celebrate the TLM most if not all the time and be loyal to all the hierarchy, to counteract the SSPX, who claim loyalty to the pope now but for many years were not obedient to diocesan bishops -- and still are not obedient to diocesan bishops.  I'm sure someone will correct me if any of that is wrong.  We were told that FSSP priests could also celebrate the TLM.

We got an FSSP church in our archdiocese in the wake of Ecclesia Dei and it had a TLM every day and multiple times on Sunday.  Six or seven years later the SSPX built a chapel in our archdiocese.  The faithful were told in the archdiocesan newspaper we could attend Mass at the SSPX chapel but not receive Communion because the priests lack faculties.  We were also told not to give them money so I guess they lack faculties for handling money as well.  ;D

But back to the SSPX.  Year before last the pastor and founding priest of the FSSP church was transferred to another church and to this day that church (his new parish) doesn't seem to have any TLMs.  So apparently an FSSP priest can choose to switch to the NO or just be transferred and told to say the NO in his new parish.  Makes you wonder if they do mix consecrated Hosts from the NO in with the Hosts for the TLM.
That was something "Father Moderator" often ranted about at Traditio, and he may still rant about it.

It bugs me that there's an FSSP priest assigned to a small church in a podunk town where he's apparently not saying the TLM at all.  We need more TLMs to serve our ever- growing Catholic population in a geographically large and spread-out archdiocese where few people live within a reasonable distance of what we have. I think we're second in growth in the US but I may be wrong.  We have not gained a TLM since SP but I don't know if any have been proposed and quashed or just not proposed.  The way it was set up, a priest could do it of his own volition but he might also find himself re-assigned to a less desirable parish.  The bishops hold the power.

Mixing the hosts was a big problem for me and is one of the reasons why I go exclusively to the SSPX for the sacraments instead of the diocesan TLM.
(09-08-2011, 09:27 PM)JMartyr Wrote: Mixing the hosts was a big problem for me and is one of the reasons why I go exclusively to the SSPX for the sacraments instead of the diocesan TLM.

So you don't like the idea of getting what is quite probably just a piece of bread instead of our Lord? Crazy notion!
Does anyone know which parishes the priests mentioned in the article belong to? It says they're in the Diocese of Novara, Piedmont, but from searching online I can only find reference to a 5pm TLM on each second Saturday in that diocese. I'll be going to Piedmond at the start of next year, so if there's a thriving traditional Catholic community there I'd love to see it. Anyone have any details?
(09-08-2011, 11:49 PM)Raskolnikov Wrote: Does anyone know which parishes the priests mentioned in the article belong to? It says they're in the Diocese of Novara, Piedmont, but from searching online I can only find reference to a 5pm TLM on each second Saturday in that diocese. I'll be going to Piedmond at the start of next year, so if there's a thriving traditional Catholic community there I'd love to see it. Anyone have any details?

Rorate has a link to the original Italian blog Una Fides, where the interview is found:

http://unafides33.blogspot.com/2011/09/t...della.html

I don't read or speak Italian. I know Spanish, so from what I can make out, the Italian blog has further links to what appears to be their parish and chapel:

Fr. Secci
http://www.unavox.it/messa.htm#Vocogno

Vocogno (VB): Chiesa di Santa Caterina, V. M. 
Domenica: ore 10,30 (S. Messa cantata)
ore 17, 00 (S. Messa letta)
Lunedì, martedì, giovedì e venerdì: ore 17,00
Mercoledì e sabato: ore 7,00
Informazioni: 349.2848054

Fr. Coggiola's chapel
http://www.unavox.it/messa.htm#Domodossola

Domodossola (VB): Cappella dell'Ospedale
Questa celebrazione sostituisce quella
Caddo di Crevoladossola,
per la provvisoria inagibilità dei locali
Domenica: ore 10,30 (S. Messa cantata)