Clown Mass?
(09-10-2011, 01:22 PM)Someone1776 Wrote:
(09-10-2011, 01:09 PM)UnamSanctam Wrote: - One mass where the priest gave a sermon on how the church was terribly wrong in condemning heresies and laying excommunication

Sadly the above is far more common than clown masses and far more serious. 

Thankfully he was a negro imported priest fresh off the boat. I was one of the few who would try to listen to his sermons. The only intelligible words to the average listener was when he swore or said boobs that one time.
From my alma mater diocese. It has been said he did clown masses. However, some of the things mentioned here I consider worse. It took a long time and a new bishop for this guy to be forcefully retired.

Courtesy of Wikipedia Fr. T.Q.:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_J._Quinlan

Controversy

The Bishop of Richmond, Francis X. DiLorenzo retired Father Quinlan in June, 2005 from service at Holy Family in Virginia Beach.[2] A Christmas Eve homily, which made references to Mary's birth canal, offended some members of the parish and was reported to Bishop DiLorenzo.

While Father Quinlan's homiletic language can be described as "salty" or "earthy," there were some instances of avant garde liturgical celebrations. According to local newspapers,[3] Father Quinlan drove a Volkswagen down the aisle during a Palm Sunday procession at Good Shepherd Catholic Church. At another Palm Sunday Mass, "T.Q" drove a three-ton forklift down the center aisle at The Basilica of St. Mary of the Immaculate Conception in Norfolk VA. Jet Magazine, August 18, 1977 The "yellow brick road" imagery was a metaphor for Jesus' pilgrimage to Jerusalem. Father Quinlan occasionally costumed himself as The Grinch or as Superman at the beginning of a Mass. Another endeavor included a psychedelic Mass with lighting effects. While some parishioners and visitors had difficulty relating to the style and messages delivered by T.Q, over time, Father Quinlan developed a strong and loyal following.

Some of TQ's issues were not related to his colorful character, but to the fact he was an alcoholic who occasionally fell off the wagon. While some of his style could be offensive to some overly sensitive parishioners it was hard to tolerate him strolling into mass naked, drunk and chain smoking. He is a brilliant mind and there are few scholars of the Catholic Church who could match his knowledge of Church history. However, he could also be an over-bearing and condescending individual.

On 30 January 2006, The Catholic Virginian (the official newspaper of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Richmond), printed the following regarding Fr. Quinlan:

"The Rev. Thomas Quinlan, a retired priest of the Diocese of Richmond, can no longer celebrate the sacraments publicly. He can celebrate Mass privately. Bishop DiLorenzo said he took this action as a response to Father Quinlan's behavior that has 'engendered anxiety and emotional upset which interferes with an individual's religious experience.'"

[edit]
(09-10-2011, 01:26 PM)UnamSanctam Wrote:
(09-10-2011, 01:09 PM)UnamSanctam Wrote: - One mass where the priest gave a sermon on how the church was terribly wrong in condemning heresies and laying excommunication

Thankfully he was a negro imported priest fresh off the boat. I was one of the few who would try to listen to his sermons. The only intelligible words to the average listener was when he swore or said boobs that one time.

Ah damn...need to watch out for those Negros.  Might pollute the Lilly white blood of Christ...
(09-10-2011, 01:38 PM)Someone1776 Wrote:

Ah damn...need to watch out for those Negros. 

option 1: anti racist sarcasm LOL
option 2: racist rant :o
option 3: strong argument about the possiblity of poor catechesis in foreign land Pray
option 4: some negro did something mean to you once sad
option 5: you are negro  Sticking tongue out at you
(09-10-2011, 01:41 PM)UnamSanctam Wrote:

option 3: strong argument about the possiblity of poor catechesis in foreign land Pray

Option 6: You're an ass. 
On any given Sunday you can find just about anything somewhere.  >sad

I've personally seen

- homilies given by women

- wine consecrated before bread

- none kneeling at the consecration

- people being denied communion because they knelt

- consecrated Hosts left discarded in the sacristy closet (To be fair, the priest who found them was clearly upset.  I'm sure he was going to have some strong words for his fellows in the rectory that evening.)

- directly heretical homilies (Who hasn't? )

Sometimes when traveling in my early days as a Catholic, I would go into an unknown parish that looked to be fixen' to do much worse than the above.  Now I know to do extensive research before going through the unknown wilderness of the the AmChurch.  Fisheaters is a rather good resource for this.

For an example, take a look at these guys:

http://www.stjoan.com/stjoan/index.php

I've seen recordings of things far worse.

(In one case a deacon and congregation trying to confect the Eucharist "together" -- The sound of all those voices saying the Words of Institution together seemed... demonic.  Cry )
(09-10-2011, 01:44 PM)Someone1776 Wrote:
(09-10-2011, 01:41 PM)UnamSanctam Wrote:

Option 6: You're an ass. 

Huh?

YOU are an ass? I was trying to ascertain your intent with the above comment. lol. Oh boy.

(09-10-2011, 01:26 PM)UnamSanctam Wrote: Thankfully he was a negro imported priest fresh off the boat. I was one of the few who would try to listen to his sermons. The only intelligible words to the average listener was when he swore or said boobs that one time.

I hate the inaccuracy of race terms too.  But dude, "negro" ain't cool anymore.  Fish-Eater Smackdown

Go with "Black" or "African."  If you use "negro" people are going to think you're a bigot.  I'm pretty sure that that's where Someone was coming from.

(09-10-2011, 01:55 PM)Roger the Shrubber Wrote:
(09-10-2011, 01:26 PM)UnamSanctam Wrote: Thankfully he was a negro imported priest fresh off the boat. I was one of the few who would try to listen to his sermons. The only intelligible words to the average listener was when he swore or said boobs that one time.

I hate the inaccuracy of race terms too.  But dude, "negro" ain't cool anymore.   Fish-Eater Smackdown

Go with "Black" or "African."  If you use "negro" people are going to think you're a bigot.  I'm pretty sure that that's where Someone was coming from.

Dude I called my black girl friend negro all the time. Negro is merely black in another language. Nigger is derogatory. Negro, black and negroid are scientific dinstinctions for that races of man.

I HATE the term African American! African american is not racial or visible disctinction. It is a term of birth or culture! 1/3 of Africans are causucoid group race!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry dude not hatin you but the propaganda term from the brainless irrational media.

Rolling Pin Censored Hopping Mad

(09-10-2011, 01:48 PM)Roger the Shrubber Wrote: For an example, take a look at these guys:

http://www.stjoan.com/stjoan/index.php

What a wild parish.  This is in the Parish Bulletin:

Quote:Divorce Dos and Don’ts: Learn from a team of divorce profes-sionals about the pros and cons of the five models of divorce, common mistakes to avoid, financial planning strategies avail-able, the realities of co-parenting, and creating a plan for self-care. Oct. 25, 7 to 9 pm at Catholic Charities,1276 University Ave. St. Paul, $10 (financial assistance available) Register at 651.647.3126 or adaire.lassonde@cctwincities.org.

Divorce Dos in a Catholic bulletin?

It's always crazy that they are very proud of the fact that they hold Mass not in the church, but in the gym.