Clown Mass?
I've seen the term clown masses bandied around a bit, which made me wonder.  Is this something that actually happened or is it just hyperbole?
Oh no, they have definitely happened.

Just type clown mass into Google images.
Supposedly there have been masses where the celebrant and other participants have dressed up as clowns.  However, you can't actually find a whole lot of evidence for these clown masses.  But, given the amount of liturgical abuse that goes on I wouldn't be surprised that it has happened.

Now puppet masses.  They happen!

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh_nqtp3VrU&feature=player_embedded [/video]
(09-10-2011, 11:28 AM)Atomagenesis Wrote: Oh no, they have definitely happened.

Just type clown mass into Google images.

I did. Didn't find much.  An episcopal mass.  A picture of a bishop with clowns (which doesn't appear to be at a mass), and one picture that might actually be from a mass, but it's not clear.

[Image: D004_ClownMassA.jpg]

Looking more into it looks like there was once video that showed the above image was indeed from a mass, but that video is no longer available. 
Nope...they are real...

(09-10-2011, 11:33 AM)Petertherock Wrote: Nope...they are real...

Episcopalians aren't Catholic.  The image there is from an episcopal service.  The other stuff looks like it is Catholic, but kind of shoddy to include Episcopalians especially as that is the most egregious of the scenes (although the Barny mass is pretty close). 
...wow...  :(
Man, clowns and giants puppets give me the creeps.

All the more reason to go to a TLM. There's no way to mistake it for either a clown mass or an episcopalian service.
Oh they happen. I have been to and heard of from family experiences:

- Two clown masses
- One stone healing mass
- One outdoor mass where young ladies danced around the altar waving ribbons
- One mass where the priest and servers wore hockey jerseys
- One mass where the priest sang 'hagunamatta' with a guitar.
- One mass where the priest gave a sermon on how the church was terribly wrong in condemning heresies and laying excommunication

I just need a cheese head mass and a laywoman consecrated mass to complete my resume.

Thank God our illustrious leaders had strived so hard to eliminate the archaic TLM so that we can have these proper forms of worship.
(09-10-2011, 01:09 PM)UnamSanctam Wrote: - One mass where the priest gave a sermon on how the church was terribly wrong in condemning heresies and laying excommunication

Sadly the above is far more common than clown masses and far more serious.