Canadian Anglicans vote to unite with Rome
(09-12-2011, 02:10 AM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: To clarify, I was never an Anglican or Episcopal, though my dad was. I grew up in my mom's church, the Seventh-day Adventist Church.

When I was converted to Catholicism, it was before Summorum Pontificum and the local diocesan TLM was really just a small low Mass offered in a chapel behind a nursing home, with no other sacraments besides confession (therefore no Baptism and Confirmation). So I looked for a full parish church to register at, which ended up being an Anglican Use Catholic church. They were, and are, pretty solid and also have the benefit of being a "personal parish", meaning anyone could join without regard for geographic parish boundaries. It also was unique for having a lot of former Protestants. Something like 50% of the church are ex-Protestant converts, and not just of the Anglican/Episcopal variety.

This particular parish was established over 20 years ago, long before the Anglican Ordinariate was ever thought about. The distinctive element of the Anglican Use is that they're allowed to use a form of the 1928 Book of Common Prayer, modified by Rome in 1980. The end result was dubbed the Book of Divine Worship. The order of service is a re-arranged BCP (for example, Gloria near the beginning as we're familiar with, not after Communion) and with the Roman Canon. The Book of Divine Worship also covers Baptism, Confirmation, Matrimony, and funeral rites.

The church will join the Anglican Ordinariate of the U.S. when it's established, but in the meantime it remains under the local archdiocese.

HK, Do the laity commonly receive both species at this church?  How is it done?

(09-12-2011, 03:06 PM)richness of tradition Wrote: HK, Do the laity commonly receive both species at this church?  How is it done?

Yes, via intinction. At Communion time, the altar rail (really a rood screen) is divided into three sections where a priest and two deacons each administer Communion from a combination ciborium-chalice. The Host is dipped into a mini-Chalice and placed on the communicant's tongue. They look sort of like this:

[Image: N-2919_stremy_intinction-01.jpg]

Interesting.  Thanks.