lay person doing sermon a TLM
(09-12-2011, 04:27 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: I was just reminded of the Pardoner's Tale in Chaucer's Canterbury Tales. He describes preaching and soliciting money for the sale of relics during the Offertory. The Pardoner, by the way, was a lay church official. So it seems "second sermons", or at least solicitations for funds, were done by non-celebrants of Mass during the Offertory in the later Middle Ages.

That would be annoying. The Offertory is my favorite part of Mass, and I'm not a huge fan of the distracting hymn-singing and basket-passing that already goes on at that time.
(09-12-2011, 08:43 PM)Resurrexi Wrote: That would be annoying. The Offertory is my favorite part of Mass, and I'm not a huge fan of the distracting hymn-singing and basket-passing that already goes on at that time.

I like the Offertory too. A speech probably would be annoying, but you're gonna pass the plate, that seems the most appropriate time to do it.

I'm a big proponent of the Offertoriale, a book which has long, melismastic (and very hard-to-sing) verses to extend the Gregorian Offertory antiphons. With that, you can sing chant to cover the entire Offertory rite without any extra-liturgical hymns.
Why not pass the plate during the sermon?  That's an interruption.
(09-12-2011, 08:52 PM)Louis_Martin Wrote: Why not pass the plate during the sermon?  That's an interruption.

That's also a possibility, but I sense it's not done commonly because the churches want you to pay undivided attention to the sermon.
Speaking of the Offertory, what would make the Offertory even more awesome is having a procession. I mean in the Sarum style, not the Novus Ordo.

[Image: pictured9.jpg]
(09-12-2011, 08:49 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote:
(09-12-2011, 08:43 PM)Resurrexi Wrote: That would be annoying. The Offertory is my favorite part of Mass, and I'm not a huge fan of the distracting hymn-singing and basket-passing that already goes on at that time.

I like the Offertory too. A speech probably would be annoying, but you're gonna pass the plate, that seems the most appropriate time to do it.

I'm a big proponent of the Offertoriale, a book which has long, melismastic (and very hard-to-sing) verses to extend the Gregorian Offertory antiphons. With that, you can sing chant to cover the entire Offertory rite without any extra-liturgical hymns.

I'd rather have the short Offertory chants from the Graduale. If I were in the choir, I'd prefer to be able to follow along with "Suscipe, sancte Pater," "Deus qui humanae substantiae," "Offerimus tibi," and the other beautiful Offertory prayers rather than to sing a chant drawn-out for longer than it needs to be.
(09-12-2011, 09:19 PM)Resurrexi Wrote: I'd rather have the short Offertory chants from the Graduale. If I were in the choir, I'd prefer to be able to follow along with "Suscipe, sancte Pater," "Deus qui humanae substantiae," "Offerimus tibi," and the other beautiful Offertory prayers rather than to sing a chant drawn-out for longer than it needs to be.

They are the same. With the Offertoriale, you start with the antiphon from the Graduale as usual, then add one or two verses. At the end of the verse, you repeat the last line of the antiphon. You can find this still in the Offertory for the Requiem Mass when the choir repeats "Quam olim Abrahae".

It's not drawing out the chant, it's using the fuller form dating from medieval times.

http://www.musicasacra.com/books/offertoriale1935.pdf