NYC/JC area - Parish
(09-11-2011, 10:46 PM)a83192 Wrote:
(09-11-2011, 08:10 PM)patricia m. Wrote:
(09-11-2011, 08:08 PM)Louis_Martin Wrote: There is also Holy Rosary in Jersey City and St Agnes near Grand Central.

See you around!

Hi Louis, I was at Holy Rosary today. There was no homily, I got a bit disappointed to be honest.

I was there too. I too was dissapointed to the point that we left and went to the FSSP in Pequannock for the 5 pm mass. Also there is the SSPX Church in West Caldwell,NJ.  They might be regularized this week in Rome. You will  never see the shenanigans we saw at Holy Rosary at Our Lady of Fatima or Saint Anthony's in Caldwell.

I have attended Holy Rosary TLM for about 7 years now.  On Sunday, the Administrator of the parish allowed a lay representative of a Catholic group that serves the poor in Haitii to use the time for the sermon to solicit funds for the organization.  It was a bit disappointing, as I enjoy Fr. Carol's sermons, but it is a worthwhile organization.  I'm not sure what "shenanigans" you're referring to.  The only "shenanigans" I saw occurred in the pews when you're entire family trooped out before the man even spoke.  It was distracting, to be honest.  It's not often that the time for a sermon is used to solicit funds, but it does happen a few times a year.  I was happy to hear about the organization and glad to give a donation after Mass.

Please don't mischaracterize what happened at Holy Rosary and insinutate that something unorthodox went on.  If you are who I think you are (you were the only ones who left), you've been to Holy Rosary before and we haven't offended your sensibilities previously.  Some charity might be in order.  Don't go on a public forum and slander us.  If you think the other chapels you mention are superior, by all means go where you feel most comfortable.  If you decide to come to Holy Rosary again, please join us downstairs after Mass for a cup of coffee.  I'd be happy to meet you and discuss your concerns.
(09-13-2011, 12:32 AM)marym Wrote:
(09-11-2011, 10:46 PM)a83192 Wrote:
(09-11-2011, 08:10 PM)patricia m. Wrote:
(09-11-2011, 08:08 PM)Louis_Martin Wrote: There is also Holy Rosary in Jersey City and St Agnes near Grand Central.

See you around!

Hi Louis, I was at Holy Rosary today. There was no homily, I got a bit disappointed to be honest.

I was there too. I too was dissapointed to the point that we left and went to the FSSP in Pequannock for the 5 pm mass. Also there is the SSPX Church in West Caldwell,NJ.  They might be regularized this week in Rome. You will  never see the shenanigans we saw at Holy Rosary at Our Lady of Fatima or Saint Anthony's in Caldwell.

I have attended Holy Rosary TLM for about 7 years now.  On Sunday, the Administrator of the parish allowed a lay representative of a Catholic group that serves the poor in Haitii to use the time for the sermon to solicit funds for the organization.  It was a bit disappointing, as I enjoy Fr. Carol's sermons, but it is a worthwhile organization.  I'm not sure what "shenanigans" you're referring to.  The only "shenanigans" I saw occurred in the pews when you're entire family trooped out before the man even spoke.  It was distracting, to be honest.  It's not often that the time for a sermon is used to solicit funds, but it does happen a few times a year.  I was happy to hear about the organization and glad to give a donation after Mass.

Please don't mischaracterize what happened at Holy Rosary and insinutate that something unorthodox went on.  If you are who I think you are (you were the only ones who left), you've been to Holy Rosary before and we haven't offended your sensibilities previously.  Some charity might be in order.  Don't go on a public forum and slander us.  If you think the other chapels you mention are superior, by all means go where you feel most comfortable.  If you decide to come to Holy Rosary again, please join us downstairs after Mass for a cup of coffee.  I'd be happy to meet you and discuss your concerns.

Calm down people!

But I must say the lay person giving a talk in the sanctuary was at least imprudent. We all know traditionalists already have their sensus catholicus on high alert considering what they've had to endure.
I understand this wasn't the only incident that has offended people.
And dont talk about charity while maligning someone for distracting you. Maybe they wanted to make sure their family got some instruction that Sunday. Have some charity.

As I've said elsewhere simply because it is liturgically "acceptable" doesn't make it the best choice or even a reasonable choice. To say anything less is legalism. We should always strove for the highest things, not just what is acceptable. That's the excuse of the Novus Ordo. Always a loophole. 
There are more prudent ways to go about getting messages out like this.
(09-13-2011, 12:48 AM)Louis_Martin Wrote: ...

Calm down people!

But I must say the lay person giving a talk in the sanctuary was at least imprudent. We all know traditionalists already have their sensus catholicus on high alert considering what they've had to endure.
And dont talk about charity while maligning someone for distracting you. Maybe they wanted to make sure their family got some instruction that Sunday. Have some charity.

As I've said elsewhere simply because it is liturgical "acceptable" doesn't make it the best choice of even a reasonable choice. To say anything less is legalism. We should always strove for the highest things, not just what is acceptable. That's the excuse of the Novus Ordo. Always a loophole. 

Louis, what else has offended people?  Again, with the insinuation.  Please be more specific.  And you're calling for charity?  Take the mote out of your own eye, brother.

As for maligning someone, the only one who did the maligning was the person who talked about "shenanigans" occurring.  Maybe if they had stayed they would have learned something about the difficulty in Haiti and a way to aid the poor. These are not bad things to hear about.  But maybe some traditionalists are beyond that sort of thing. 
(09-13-2011, 01:02 AM)marym Wrote:

Calm down people!

As I've said elsewhere simply because it is liturgical "acceptable" doesn't make it the best choice of even a reasonable choice. To say anything less is legalism. We should always strove for the highest things, not just what is acceptable. That's the excuse of the Novus Ordo. Always a loophole. 

Louis, what else has offended people?  Again, with the insinuation.  Please be more specific.   And you're calling for charity?  Take the mote out of your own eye, brother.

As for maligning someone, the only one who did the maligning was the person who talked about "shenanigans" occurring.  Maybe if they had stayed they would have learned something about the difficulty in Haiti and a way to aid the poor. These are not bad things to hear about.  But maybe some traditionalists are beyond that sort of thing. 
The beam in the eye is what I was talking about. You're all in a huff about somebody leaving. But won't let anyone else be in a huff. That's called hypocrisy.
I can't speak for the shenanigans, but they were described to me in a personal message and they are cause for concern. I won't bring them out because that's not my place. I find that generally the people shouting for charity are the ones not exhibiting it. You asked for it first now i am giving it in the form of astonishment. You aren't the ambassador of the parish. You aren't holier than thou.

Long story short it was imprudent. That's all I'm saying.
(09-13-2011, 01:06 AM)Louis_Martin Wrote:
(09-13-2011, 01:02 AM)marym Wrote:

Calm down people!

Louis, what else has offended people?  Again, with the insinuation.  Please be more specific.   And you're calling for charity?  Take the mote out of your own eye, brother.

The beam in the eye is what I was talking about. You're all in a huff about somebody leaving. But won't let anyone else be in a huff. That's called hypocrisy.
I can't speak for the shenanigans, but they were described to me in a personal message and they are cause for concern. I won't bring them out because that's not my place. I find that generally the people shouting for charity are the ones not exhibiting it. You asked for it first now i am giving it in the form of astonishment. You aren't the ambassador of the parish. You aren't holier than thou.

Long story short it was imprudent. That's all I'm saying.

Louis, I won't waste any more time with you.  But I never said I was an ambassador of the parish, nor did I say I was holier than thou.  I was responding to someone else as a matter of fact.  You went on to say that there are other "incidents' at Holy Rosary which have offended people which you can't (or won't) back up with facts.  In that case you shouldn't say anything, as it's imprudent to do so (and you seem to be all about prudence).  Not to mention uncharitable (and you're all about charity).
Then stop wasting your time and send a private message.
And fix that quote. You're making a mess.

ETA: post 1600!
(09-11-2011, 08:48 PM)kingtheoden Wrote: I strongly advocate in favor of St. Anthony of Padua in West Orange.  At this community, the tradition only begins with the externals of the liturgy.  It is a true refuge that is exceedingly rare in our age.

(09-11-2011, 08:31 PM)Someone1776 Wrote:
(09-11-2011, 08:23 PM)Louis_Martin Wrote: Sermon is Latin. Homily is Greek. Both are Catholic.

In addition most traditional Catholics prefer the term sermon for whatever reason. 

I think this is similar to how we pray in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost whereas those who attend the New Rite instead pray in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.  Neither is wrong, but the latter tends to be linked with a more progressive liturgical approach and less so with organic, historical spirituality (instead favoring a 'new, happy' spirituality.)

In common speak, 'sermon' seems to imply an instructive lesson whereas 'homily' seems to suggest an interpretive reflection. 

In alignment with what kingtheoden said, I was told that a sermon is where the pastor has a thesis he wants to convey for the day and he takes passages from the Scriptures to elaborate and prove his original thesis.  While a homily is a thesis derived from the specific reading(s) of the day.