The cardinal system
Then if the Holy Ghost directly chose Mahony for a red hat, it's a mystery of faith to me.
(09-17-2011, 05:30 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: Then if the Holy Ghost directly chose Mahony for a red hat, it's a mystery of faith to me.

Cardinal Wolsey wasn't much better. I sincerely doubt he would have joined Saints Thomas More and John Fisher on the scaffold. 
Actually, Wolsey was a brilliant administrator, which is an important quality in a Church hierarch. He also made reforms that history forgets to credit him for. What's even more remarkable is that Wolsey was the son of a commoner and worked his way up the Church's ranks the hard way in an era when high Church positions were increasingly dominated by the nobility.

Certainly not the holiest of cardinals, though. But my point isn't that. It's that cardinal titles were once given to men of great talent, of which Wolsey was certainly one.
(09-17-2011, 05:17 PM)maldon Wrote: Be practical guys. If they raise the bar an inch, we'd end up with 3 cardinals.

Three good cardinals are better than a hundred bad ones.
If holy men were chosen as bishops and archbishops of large cities, it would be natural to choose cardinals from among them.

But many of these men are not holy - as allowed by the Holy Ghost.
I think that people get the red hat when they are promoted to Cardinalate dioceses.  Take the Philly job: it wasn't just the next guy on the list that got the job.  B16 picked one of the highest-profile Archbishops in the USA to get that spot.
(09-17-2011, 06:55 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: Actually, Wolsey was a brilliant administrator, which is an important quality in a Church hierarch. He also made reforms that history forgets to credit him for. What's even more remarkable is that Wolsey was the son of a commoner and worked his way up the Church's ranks the hard way in an era when high Church positions were increasingly dominated by the nobility.

Certainly not the holiest of cardinals, though. But my point isn't that. It's that cardinal titles were once given to men of great talent, of which Wolsey was certainly one.

Talented as Cardinal Wolsey was he was also emblematic of a church hierarchy that had nearly completely lost it's way.  If you look at the the Reformation one of the reasons the Church was so slow in responding to the Reformation was because much of the hierarchy was seemingly more concerned with earthly politics than heavenly religion.  

Thus, Pope Leo X was slow in doing anything about the Reformation spreading into Northern Europe as he was afraid it might hurt his political alliances, and more importantly he was more interested in Italian politics.
Bishop Bruskewitz  deserved being a Cardinal just for supporting the Traditional Latin Mass in his diocese and getting a seminary established there to keep the Mass going. He will get his reward after this vale of tears.
(09-17-2011, 05:22 PM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: Vetus, the Holy Ghost hasn't been to Los Angeles in a long time.

:laughing: :laughing:
I think the best thing B16 could do right now concerning cardinals is *take away* hates from cardinals who misbehave by spouting liberal/modernist crap.  Watch the careerists shape up after that, right quick.

My other policy would be to choose new cardinals only from a list of bishops who regularly say the TLM.