Rev. Michael Rodriguez transferred to another church
I'm sure some of you remember a few months back reading a few posts on the topic of Fr. Michael Rodriguez from El Paso. 
Father Rodriguez is the Diocesan priest in El Paso that gives the Latin Mass (in addition to the SSPX presence), and has been very proactive in reaching out to people to attend the traditional Mass.  He, in my opinion, is a very holy man.

Nevertheless, Father Rodriguez has been very outspoken about the City Council wanting to give benefits to the "partners" of City employees.  As he should, he spoke from the pulpit against this, but also became very involved, and even appeared before City Council denouncing the new "law" (Which, by the way, was voted down by the citizens, yet the Mayor and City Council reversed the vote because of 'bad wording' they say).  Granted, I don't think Father Rodriguez should have pushed so far as to almost becoming an activist...I just think he is so passionate about the teachings of the Church that he wants the world to know them.   

Well, apparently, the Bishop got tired of Fr. Rodriguez making the news, and speaking the teachings of the Church and with pressure from other priests (one of which asserts that Fr. Rodriguez' statements don't reflect the teachings of the Church  :o) that he has relocated him to a town of 11,000 people.

Even though we do have the SSPX presence, who will give the Diocesan Mass?? I called the Diocese to find out.  I asked them where they would be offering the Traditional Latin Mass.  They first told me to call San Juan Bautista, but then I asked if they would then be replacing the priest who gives the traditional Mass.  After a few minutes on hold, the lady came back and asked for my name and number because they would need to call me back.  HA!

So...If you have time in your hands please call (915) 872-8400 and ask who will now offer the TLM and/or where? Just to make a point, I suppose.  ;D

http://www.elpasotimes.com/newupdated/ci_18945278

Thanks all!

That's terrible. Fr Rodriguez is a hero. It's such a shame that so many bishops are enemies of the Church they claim to guide. Wolves in sheep's clothing. :\
While I'm sorry that you're losing your priest, I suggest that you avoid seeing this as the bishop "punishing" Fr. Rodriguez.  I'm not denying the reality of ecclesiastical politics.  I'm acutely aware of this reality (and as I hopefully proceed to ordination will become more aware of it).  However, for your spiritual life, it's best to not view it this way.  You don't have all the information about why he is being moved.  Perhaps this move has been planned for some time.  You also don't really know if the bishop opposes his remarks (I think we come awfully close to a grave sin against charity when we presume that someone is secretly an agent for evil, especially a bishop).

In any event, it seems like Fr. Rodriguez is handling this situation as a priest should, with content obedience.  Priests are called by the Lord, through the bishop, to preach the Gospel in various places.  The Lord did not promise his priests a settled life, but one where they must be ready to go to new towns and places.  They're sad when they leave their parishioners behind, but also should be somewhat joyful.  Because in those moments of sadness, they're truly carrying a heavy cross.  In these moments, they're most like Christ, and therefore, most worthy to be called a priest.
(09-21-2011, 08:42 PM)MeaMaximaCulpa Wrote: While I'm sorry that you're losing your priest, I suggest that you avoid seeing this as the bishop "punishing" Fr. Rodriguez.  I'm not denying the reality of ecclesiastical politics.  I'm acutely aware of this reality (and as I hopefully proceed to ordination will become more aware of it).  However, for your spiritual life, it's best to not view it this way.  You don't have all the information about why he is being moved.  Perhaps this move has been planned for some time.  You also don't really know if the bishop opposes his remarks (I think we come awfully close to a grave sin against charity when we presume that someone is secretly an agent for evil, especially a bishop).

In any event, it seems like Fr. Rodriguez is handling this situation as a priest should, with content obedience.  Priests are called by the Lord, through the bishop, to preach the Gospel in various places.  The Lord did not promise his priests a settled life, but one where they must be ready to go to new towns and places.  They're sad when they leave their parishioners behind, but also should be somewhat joyful.  Because in those moments of sadness, they're truly carrying a heavy cross.  In these moments, they're most like Christ, and therefore, most worthy to be called a priest.

Please read this:
http://www.elpasotimes.com/news/ci_18800924
I believe I've got Fr's email address.  PM me if you'd like it.
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.
Not familiar with Rodriguez, but this is a problem below:

Quote:The fliers also said, "Members of the City Council and the mayor have violated our rights and overturned our popular vote. We must hold our politicians accountable and insist that they truly serve our people."

That may be true for El Paso, I don't know. But would this ad fly in one of the many areas of this country, and other nations (even Catholic nations), where same-sex marriage and benefits have been accepted or voted in by the majority? Appealing to democracy in an argument like this is a big mistake.

And the whole thing seems really.... imprudent. Perhaps Rodriguez had the best interests of God and the Church in mind, but I don't see how anti-gay ads will change anyone's minds. On the contrary, people will take them the wrong way (as part of a hate campaign), and then you'll get banished by the bishop, who may very well be gay himself. It would have been better to stick to taking out well-written and reasoned columns in the paper.
I was waiting for the liberal bishop of El Paso to do this, he was a former auxiliary in Los Angeles.
If anything I would be more interested to know where the good Father is being transferred to and if anything you should be happy that whatever town or Church that is it will be getting a most saintly Priest. Plus yet another Church to which the TLM will be introduced.
Sweetwater, TX.  Yes. Of course it will be a blessing for the town, but what I want to know is if the bishop will be appointing anyone to replace him to serve those already attending the TLM.
(09-22-2011, 12:12 AM)Tradchick Wrote: Sweetwater, TX.  Yes. Of course it will be a blessing for the town, but what I want to know is if the bishop will be appointing anyone to replace him to serve those already attending the TLM.

Usually they don't.