Poll: How did B16 become Pope?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Do You Think the Holy Ghost Chose Pope Benedict XVI....
(09-22-2011, 02:31 PM)OldMan Wrote: and the Spanish, for example, "Santo Spirito."

In Spanish, "Espiritu Santo" (with an accute accent on the 'u'. "

(09-22-2011, 02:44 PM)newyorkcatholic Wrote:
(09-22-2011, 02:31 PM)OldMan Wrote: and the Spanish, for example, "Santo Spirito."

In Spanish, "Espiritu Santo" (with an accute accent on the 'u'. "

Although in Spanish "espiritu" can mean either ghost or spirit. 
I have read many Catholic books written well before the Council, some written centuries before, that use the term" Holy Spirit" to refer to the Third Person of the Trinity.
It is just hair splitting and not modernism or a threat to the Faith to say Holy Spirit.
(09-22-2011, 04:17 PM)dan hunter Wrote: It is just hair splitting and not modernism or a threat to the Faith to say Holy Spirit.

It's modernism to claim either Holy Spirit or Holy Ghost is acceptable. Everyone knows the vernacular is unacceptable. 
(09-22-2011, 04:39 PM)Someone1776 Wrote:
(09-22-2011, 04:17 PM)dan hunter Wrote: It is just hair splitting and not modernism or a threat to the Faith to say Holy Spirit.

It's modernism to claim either Holy Spirit or Holy Ghost is acceptable. Everyone knows the vernacular is unacceptable. 

I stick with Passive Spiration.
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.
(09-22-2011, 01:00 PM)Jesse Wrote:
(09-22-2011, 12:33 PM)Stubborn Wrote: Never heard Holy Spirit around here till after V2.

Put it this way - NOers say Holy Spirit - dead give away.

That is a genetic fallacy.  It is illogical to dismiss something as false based on who says it or believes it.  We should judge matters on their own merits.

In any case, "spirit" conveys the meaning of "spiritus" better than "ghost".  A ghost is seen as the spirit of a dead person and often haunts houses.  That's not the "spiritus sanctus."  I personally use "holy ghost" in honor of the tradition, but there is nothing wrong with saying "holy spirit."

Pax,
Jesse

Interestingly, in the 19th century, SPIRIT was the word that would come across as creepy.  Spiritualists and their seances.  Getting in touch with "the spirit world."  Whereas "Ghost" meant soul or spirit as we know the word today.  As in "Holy Ghost," or "He gave up the ghost."
(09-22-2011, 04:39 PM)Someone1776 Wrote:

Ha Ha!
Do You Think the Holy Ghost Chose Pope Benedict XVI....

What is the point of this question?  Is it to give license to BXVI-haters to trash the man?  To ease their consciences as they cast doubt on the man who, as admitted in the OP, legitimately claims the throne of Peter?  What a stupid and pointless discussion. 

The process of electing a new pope is a mix of practical and spiritual discernment.  The Holy Spirit doesn't come down from the heavens to confirm a Pope (be it Pius V or Benedict XVI). 

A better question is, "What does God think about those who try to cast a shadow of doubt on the Pope's legitimate claim to allegiance from God's people?"
(09-25-2011, 12:41 PM)Windmill Wrote: Do You Think the Holy Ghost Chose Pope Benedict XVI....

What is the point of this question?  Is it to give license to BXVI-haters to trash the man?  To ease their consciences as they cast doubt on the man who, as admitted in the OP, legitimately claims the throne of Peter?  What a stupid and pointless discussion. 

The process of electing a new pope is a mix of practical and spiritual discernment.  The Holy Spirit doesn't come down from the heavens to confirm a Pope (be it Pius V or Benedict XVI). 

A better question is, "What does God think about those who try to cast a shadow of doubt on the Pope's legitimate claim to allegiance from God's people?"
Its to pass the time.
"The Holy Spirit doesn't come down from the heavens to confirm a Pope (be it Pius V or Benedict XVI)."

God comes down from Heaven during every Mass, why not for a conclave?