What Pope Benedict really said about Eucharistic adoration
(09-22-2011, 10:58 PM)Landelinus Wrote:
(09-22-2011, 09:07 PM)Raskolnikov Wrote: That is the correct translation. The first quote/'translation' provided in the OP is clearly a deliberate mistranslation which omits important parts of the text. The sedevecantist version is no accident. Sedes have done this before. I've argued about this on this forum before. It's intellectual dishonesty, and slander, and they just don't seem to mind.

I concur that the scholarly translation is correct and gives a MUCH better sense of the original German. 

Still, I cannot escape the very strong impression from the German original that Ratzinger is trying to rationalize for the "thinking man" - perhaps himself - a pious practice that would otherwise seem beneath him.  He writes almost grandiloquently of "the integration of my Self in the story of God and Man" as a proper end of Adoration, yet nowhere speaks of an encounter with the person of Jesus Christ Himself.  He paints the picutre of an encounter with an idea rather than a person, of being caught up in a web of higher order relationships, rather than establishing a person-to-person relationship of love and confidence with the God-Man Jesus Christ.  Call me a non-thinking man, but I rather prefer the latter.

I only have rudimentary German language skills but I'm not able to locate in the original the phrase, "With regard to meaningfulness..."  

Messages In This Thread
Re: What Pope Benedict really said about Eucharistic adoration - by Gerard - 09-22-2011, 11:06 PM