What Pope Benedict really said about Eucharistic adoration
(09-23-2011, 12:42 AM)Landelinus Wrote:
(09-23-2011, 12:18 AM)Gerard Wrote: Like this banal example is rejected.  Strawman arguments should always be rejected. Another incongruity is the snobbish assumption that "modern man" and the "thinking man" are one and the same.   
I agree.  Good analysis overall.  I am very uncomfortable Ratzinger's  intellectualized dismissal of traditional piety in the name of "modern man" (whoever that is).
Even before I understood it, before I had come back to the faith, I KNEW that there was something very, very real - unavoidably real - about Christ's presence in the Eucharist.  Walking into a Catholic church is simply not like walking into any other religious building.  That the future Pope could not speak about the Real Presence in a concrete way is mystifying to me - it's almost as if he's desacramentalizing the Blessed Sacrament.  Very odd.  But people change.  It would be interesting to see what he's written recently on the subject.

Where did that happen? As the OP made clear, Pope Benedict did not reject Eucharistic adoration. He was merely criticizing simplistic views of the Eucharist that he thought likely to drive modern men away from the Church.

At any rate, as you said, people change. Pope Benedict has himself acknowledged that his views have changed quite a bit since the time of the Council. I find it telling that almost all of the quotations used to slander the Pope are taken from his earlier writings. Of course, even then the quotations are usually taken out of context, misread, or even mistranslated as was the case here.

Messages In This Thread
Re: What Pope Benedict really said about Eucharistic adoration - by Crusading Philologist - 09-23-2011, 12:53 AM