Possessed Priest and Valid Sacraments
(09-27-2011, 03:12 AM)INPEFESS Wrote: This is a reasonable objection. I hope my answer can help to resolve the apparent contradiction.

The difference is that, in the first case, unbaptized infants can not use their free will to intend to receive the sacraments. Hence, they do not merit its effects. In the second case, however, the soul who freely cooperates with God's grace to choose to receive the sacraments, but does not know that they are invalid, has positively chosen to respond to God's grace. Because he is invincibly ignorant as to the validity of the sacrament, no fault can be found in his execution of his free will.

The unborn infant must freely choose to serve God with his own free will in order to enjoy eternal life in the presence of God, but because he is unable to use his free will no fault is found in him. As a result, he is born into perfect natural happiness and suffers only the privation of the unmerited presence of God. The soul who has reached the age of reason, however, has freely chosen to serve God via the free co-operation of his will, and his invincible ignorance of the invalid sacrament cannot be counted against him.

The unborn infant glorifies God's goodness by being a testament to His justice while the soul who unknowingly receives an invalid sacrament glorifies God's goodness by being a testament to His mercy. They both glorify God and give testament to His goodness to equal degrees, though in different ways. Each soul, having perfect understanding of (and resignation to) this after death, finds no displeasure in the means by which God has chosen that they should give Him glory.

I hate having to say this to you because you are truly a respectable, kind and polite person.  But this idea of salvation based on merits is a clear example of what happens when someone relies solely on scholasticism, stripped of any attachment to a mystical understanding.  Vetus, I'll save you the time of typing your cliched response, no, I'm not condemning scholasticism in and of itself because I prefer to be eastern over Catholic, but rather when it is basically idolized and goes beyond what it is necessary for, namely, anchoring mysticism in reality so that theology doesn't become a mere fantasy.  INPEFESS, it's clear from the Gospel that Christ didn't require merits to show mercy, he showed it beforehand.  And to mix it in with the predestination argument, if God can't grant heaven to someone just because, but has to wait for someone to merit it, is he not bound?  Does he not lose a portion of his sovereignty?  Baptized man doesn't really control his salvation, but is elect by God irrespective of his choice, because God must be sovereign, but the exact opposite is true with unbaptized infants, God is bound by the situation they are in and can do nothing because they haven't merited it. 

At any rate, what I had intended to get at was that the Gospel shows Christ granting mercy to whomever he wants irrespective of merits.  Salvation by merit is a theological construct that is popular in Latin theology because medieval Latin theologians had the tendency to abandon mysticism and go for an ultramontane Scholasticism of sorts.  It was overstretched above and beyond its proper use.  Limbo is just the logical conclusion of such an overstretched scholastic paradigm.  Salvation by merit is a theological construct contrary to the Gospel.

Messages In This Thread
Possessed Priest and Valid Sacraments - by Jesse - 09-24-2011, 02:57 PM
Re: Possessed Priest and Valid Sacraments - by Melkite - 09-27-2011, 09:47 AM