Possessed Priest and Valid Sacraments
(09-29-2011, 01:15 AM)K3vinhood Wrote:
(09-28-2011, 11:35 PM)Melkite Wrote: This is all a non sequitur.  But, be that as it may, if an unbaptized infant can't make a choice to love God, then neither can a baptized infant.  If a baby dies 5 minutes after he is baptized, he goes to heaven.  Why?  Has he made a choice to choose God?  No.  Does he have the capacity to freely choose and love God?   No, none at all.  And yet we would unanimously say the child went to heaven.  So perhaps what I should say is that scholasticism run-amock is what happens when someone gets so focused on the logic that they completely forget to consider common sense.

It's not just scholasticism though... you don't seem to understand that.

This isn't just post-12th century Latin theology, the early Eastern fathers came to the same conclusion.

The Syriacs thought the Greeks were too scholastic.  The Early Eastern fathers came to the conclusion that unbaptized babies couldn't go to heaven.  The Eastern Fathers, as far as I know, correct me if you know otherwise, however did NOT conclude that it was because infants have to make a choice to love and follow God, so that they could merit heaven, because baptized babies DO go to heaven, and also have had no capacity to choose to love and follow God for themselves.  It is the idea that limbo must exist because infants don't have the capacity to merit heaven that I was saying was too scholastic, at least in my last post, and that idea is held solely by the Latins.

Messages In This Thread
Possessed Priest and Valid Sacraments - by Jesse - 09-24-2011, 02:57 PM
Re: Possessed Priest and Valid Sacraments - by Melkite - 09-29-2011, 07:07 AM