Possessed Priest and Valid Sacraments
(10-12-2011, 09:25 PM)Jesse Wrote:
(10-12-2011, 09:18 PM)Erudite Celt Wrote:
(10-12-2011, 08:38 PM)Jesse Wrote:
(10-12-2011, 06:21 PM)Erudite Celt Wrote:
(09-24-2011, 02:57 PM)Jesse Wrote: I just finished reading Malachi Martin's book "Hostage to the Devil."  One of his cases involves a possessed priest.  This priest would regularly change the words of the sacraments in Latin.  He would baptize in the name of the sky, earth, and water.  For the consecration, he would say, "this is my tombstone" or "this is my sexuality."  He would absolve in the name of the lord of light, or the name of the sky, earth, and water.  He said that since it was in Latin, he was never really caught, though one of his assistance heard him say at Mass, "The Lord of light be with you."

My question is this:  how does God view those who received such sacraments?  Obviously a child baptized in the name of sky, earth, and water has received an invalid sacrament.  Yet the priest was possessed.  Does God supply, as it were, the grace of the sacrament?  Or, take confession for example.  Since the intention of the faithful was to confess and receive absolution, is absolution granted despite the priest mucking it up?

My gut feeling says that charity trumps all and God is not going to damn a faithful Catholic who, through no fault of their own, received an invalid sacrament from a possessed priest.

The book didn't say, but I wondered if the parish, after the exorcism, contacted all the parishioners who received sacraments from this priest and told them about it.  I would want to be conditionally "re-"baptized if I found out my priest had been possessed.

Thoughts?

Pax,
Jesse

A good reason if ever there was one for giving the Sacraments in the Mother tongue of the one receiving them!

The problems caused by changing sacraments to the vernacular far outweigh the minuscule risk of receiving invalid sacraments from a possessed priest.  It is a poor reason for the use of vulgar tongues.

Latin is a vulgar tongue. That was the prime reason for Jerome translating it from Hebrew, Greek  and Old Latin to Common Latin. Latin Vulgate translates as Common Language it has nothing to do with the sanctity of the language. If that had been the original purpose Pope Damasus would have probably commissioned Jerome to produce an Aramaic translation.

Latin is NOT a vulgar tongue now, nor has it been for a VERY long time.  Vulgar, in this case, simply means "of the common people."  I suggest you read here:  http://www.fisheaters.com/latin.html

Jessie salutationes in me placent, reuerteris vestri pocius lingua. ego semper ad alterum corresponed amator linguis antiquis.disputandi pruritus ecclesiarum scabies.

Messages In This Thread
Possessed Priest and Valid Sacraments - by Jesse - 09-24-2011, 02:57 PM
Re: Possessed Priest and Valid Sacraments - by Erudite Celt - 10-12-2011, 10:17 PM