What's your opinion on offering Mass in baroque vestments in a Gothic chapel?
(09-25-2011, 03:36 PM)Someone1776 Wrote:
(09-25-2011, 03:31 PM)archdiocesan Wrote: When it comes to the baroque - be it in architecture, in music, in vestments, or in furniture - just say no.

You don't like Bach and Vivaldi?

Yes, but I like hyperbole more.
(09-25-2011, 09:18 AM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: It was kind of an obscure reference to a strange poster we used to have.

http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/inde...sg28731953

Oh, for the good old days! Wonder what happened to Catholic777 and if Robb is happy as a schismatic?
(09-25-2011, 03:35 PM)Laetare Wrote: I hate all of you, my brothers. :laughing: Baroque is the greatest style of architecture, music, politics, and painting in history.
I don't like baroque church art. The altars moved away from traditional forms, the rood screens disappeared, ...

I do like the renaissance art of the Low Countries:
[Image: 300px-Retable_de_l%27Agneau_mystique_%282%29.jpg]
But probably mostly because these painter are also said to be late Gothic.

(09-25-2011, 03:35 PM)Laetare Wrote: Those chasubles in that Gothic chapel were beautiful...
But they don't fit.
(09-25-2011, 03:43 PM)Adelbrecht Wrote: But they don't fit.

Really? Why not? I think the rectangular form of the Roman chasuble fits perfectly with all the straight crossbeams, and its embroidery complements the branch-like capitals. It's really awesome... let's not be fashion designers and get all picky. I think these are beautiful together!
Jovan, I was thinking about you when I wrote that!
(09-25-2011, 04:13 PM)Laetare Wrote:
(09-25-2011, 03:43 PM)Adelbrecht Wrote: But they don't fit.

Really? Why not? I think the rectangular form of the Roman chasuble fits perfectly with all the straight crossbeams, and its embroidery complements the branch-like capitals. It's really awesome... let's not be fashion designers and get all picky. I think these are beautiful together!
The 'Roman' chasuble is so stiff and small, it does not resemble any of the previous forms anymore. It reminds me more of a scapular.
(09-25-2011, 04:38 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: Jovan, I was thinking about you when I wrote that!

Thanks! I'm not sure my son, Charles Albert Mary, appreciates me tho'! When he got his first SocSec card he had his full name listed and now he's stuck with using it the rest of his life! :laughing:
For what it's worth.. Baroque all the way for me.  The Goths can keep their ponchos.
(09-25-2011, 05:30 PM)City Smurf Wrote: For what it's worth.. Baroque all the way for me.  The Goths can keep their ponchos.

THIS!

I like Gothic cathedrals, though.  So, my opinion is that it's a mixture that works.
(09-25-2011, 01:06 PM)Adelbrecht Wrote:
(09-25-2011, 11:51 AM)iona_scribe Wrote: I'm sure it's been done before.  It's not like all the Romanesque and Gothic churches in Europe stopped being used when Baroque fashion appeared.
Most Romanesque churches were demolished.  :)

I've been to one in Cologne!  My German friend said that a lot of the baroque decorations and statuary that had accumulated over the years in older style churches fell down or got damaged during the WWII bombings, and people realized that the older churches looked a lot better without it.