What's your opinion on offering Mass in baroque vestments in a Gothic chapel?
(09-26-2011, 04:15 AM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: Large garments falling in massive folds are dignified and beautiful. Garments cut short, stiff, flat, of bad outline, are ugly.

That's the opinion of the author. The classical exactitude of Baroque chasubles seems much more dignified, precise, human (in the highest sense), symbolic to me. The priest in Roman chasuble is like a flat sign-post pointing to Christ, not a mess of flowing seams, as a moving mountain of material.

(09-26-2011, 03:34 AM)The_Harlequin_King Wrote: Gothic is the true Christian architecture.

I never understood this contention; every Catholic I've ever met has put it forward. The holy glory our Lord calls us to certainly includes the baptism of the Doric, Corinthian, and Ionic orders. What grand creations of perfection like Il Gesu can be erected to God's glory! Gothic is always so lop-sided and haphazard. Look at the ugly lack of proportion between so many western towers of the old Gothic churches. What an affront; how ugly! God deserves something crafted and shaped according to the most precise plan. Flying buttresses to cover up structural inconsistencies... yuck. Do it right.

Why is it the true Christian architecture? Is this some association with the Middle Ages that automatically makes it great? If Gothic architecture is the truest expression of Christianity, let's reshape Michelangelo's dome and Bernini's facade. Get rid of that pagan Sistine chapel, eh? This needs a lot of explaining for me, not vague references to a golden age. I'm perfectly open to it, but not if the only argument is that it's "the true Christian one", because I thought "the" true Christian architecture might try to humbly replicate the tomb-altars of poor underground crypts. Baroque certainly doesn't, but neither does Gothic.

Messages In This Thread
Re: What's your opinion on offering Mass in baroque vestments in a Gothic chapel? - by Laetare - 09-26-2011, 04:41 AM