What's your opinion on offering Mass in baroque vestments in a Gothic chapel?
(09-26-2011, 07:10 PM)Laetare Wrote: May I ask which saints said such?

Actually, that was probably an exaggeration. I can't actually think of one who disliked Gothic as a whole. But Saint Bernard of Clairvaux, for example, didn't like the use of gargoyles.

Quote:What are these fantastic monsters doing in the cloisters before the eyes of the brothers as they read? What is the meaning of these unclean monkeys, these strange savage lions, and monsters? To what purpose are here placed these creatures, half beast, half man, or these spotted tigers? I see several bodies with one head and several heads with one body. Here is a quadruped with a serpent's head, there a fish with a quadruped's head, then again an animal half horse, half goat... Surely if we do not blush for such absurdities, we should at least regret what we have spent on them.

But to answer his question, the gargoyles were typically placed outside the church to represent the forces of hell outside the ark, so to speak. Gargoyles inside the church tend to be of a more benign character, either sacred, purely decorative, or sometimes even humorous. The medievals certainly had a bigger sense of humor than we do today.

Messages In This Thread
Re: What's your opinion on offering Mass in baroque vestments in a Gothic chapel? - by The_Harlequin_King - 09-26-2011, 07:46 PM