Long Term Depression, Anxiety , Panic Attacks and Worry??
Any advice how to overcome these things when they have been a part of life for decades? Why would GOD allow someone to get to the point of suicide? Is it a sin if you can't work because of these conditions?
You should see a priest for the spiritual concerns, and/or a mental health professional for the psychological ones.  At least once to see what else you can/should do.
Csnt offer much here. But I've seen fiest hand with a friend what manic depression csn do. It not a sin if u suffer from an illness. It's a cross to bare. But not a sin. Can't say much else as I never handled what happened to him very we'll. Mental illness is vey frustrating on those who csre for the sufferer. Not blaming you or anything it jut one of those things it's hard for most o grasp
I've tried everything with him from gttin him drunk to punchin him in the stomoch to close to strangling him
in the end nothing worked even meds
I dunno
harsh lad
keep your wits. Your dukes up, chin in, and elbows down
you do ok
for what it's worth
sip
(09-26-2011, 01:07 PM)newyorkcatholic Wrote: You should see a priest for the spiritual concerns, and/or a mental health professional for the psychological ones.  At least once to see what else you can/should do.

THIS
(09-26-2011, 12:50 PM)salus Wrote: Any advice how to overcome these things when they have been a part of life for decades? Why would GOD allow someone to get to the point of suicide? Is it a sin if you can't work because of these conditions?
My meager advice, as someone who had depression for about 5 months, is to forget about yourself [easier said than done I know] I auditioned for several plays at a local playhouse and got into them,
The taking on of a role got me taking on the characters part and not thinking about myself so much and eventually I was out of the depression.
My 2 cents.
(09-26-2011, 01:49 PM)Someone1776 Wrote:
(09-26-2011, 01:07 PM)newyorkcatholic Wrote: You should see a priest for the spiritual concerns, and/or a mental health professional for the psychological ones.  At least once to see what else you can/should do.

THIS

This
My two cents:  Start with the inside and work your way towards the outside

1) Weekly Confession and the daily rosary.  (say the Rosary in a peaceful Church if you can)

2) Get yourself checked out physically, make sure you are in decent health

3) Get help cutting back the stress. Deep tissue massage, followed by stretching and calisthenics or some aerobic exercise walking, running, etc.  

4) Organize your life by simpliffying, purging and organizing.  (I recommend the David Allen "Getting Things Done" methodology.

5) Plan healthy entertainments as simple as watching or reading good comedies.  

If your soul is secured with the sacraments, you can strengthen your will and obtain grace to carry your crosses and avoid the pitfalls the world puts in front of all of us.  An SSPX priest said to me that the world will beat us.  But Christ is stronger than the world. "I have overcome the world."  

Measure your stress against your love of God.  If you are too worried, you are holding onto the wrong thing too much.  Work on loosening its grip through sacrifice and embracing the help offered by Our Lord  and Our Lady.
Good advice chaps.  Now I just have to take it on board.
(09-26-2011, 02:03 PM)atlantis587 Wrote:
(09-26-2011, 01:49 PM)Someone1776 Wrote:

THIS

This
This.  And also  what Gerard wrote, which is really excellent advice.
(09-26-2011, 12:50 PM)salus Wrote: Any advice how to overcome these things when they have been a part of life for decades? Why would GOD allow someone to get to the point of suicide? Is it a sin if you can't work because of these conditions?

I have had Depression/Anxiety/OCD for over 12 years and it is no picnic!  But like others have mentioned it can be overcome!! Try to pray the Rosary Daily(even if only a few decades at a time), Stay close to the sacraments, talk to a priest and see a  psychologist at least twice a month...I'm lucky, because my psychologist is a practicing Byzantine Catholic... However, It is very rare and unusual to find Orthodox Catholic Doctors, but they are out there if you look hard enough!  Exercise also helps too, if you are motivated enough.