Has the Church ever declared on anti-depressants and other such pills?
I'm going to mention some general things, but really you should see a doctor who can treat you.  No one can treat you over the internet.

1. There are many treatments for psychiatric illness.  From a Catholic POV there's nothing wrong with medications,

2. But that's not the only thing you can do.  You can engage in psychotherapy, some forms of which are very structured, evidence-based, and pose no moral problems for a Catholic.

As this is also a spiritual issue for your (as you describe), talk to a priest as well.
Wow
allot off pill poppers here. Who would o thought?
Anyway not me cup o tea. Never been depressed to te crazed point i guess. Different strokes for different folks . Anyway see a doctor and a priest snd hav some fun !! Go out and hve some fun!! Maybe get into s fight and enjoy it
but I'm no doctor. Thogh I think judging by some recent posts me nipple clamp battery shock treatment msy actually serve a good.
Sip
I'll work on it for you lads
You should also consider the fact that many forms of depression are symptoms of underlying conditions, e.g., metabolic disorders such as hypothyroidism.  In my opinion, if you're depressed, you should also get a full blood panel so that if you have an underlying condition it can be treated, too.
sip
u know many times ive been told id make a wicked self help guru. i should seriously consider it. i think i may be built for it. u know Dks self help tips for chumps and losers. not to long ago on this board there was chatter about me developing a self help book for that very task
mmmmmm
for the good of mankind.
of course
(09-27-2011, 09:51 AM)newyorkcatholic Wrote: No one can treat you over the internet.

Very true. It's best to go and see someone in person.
(09-27-2011, 10:31 AM)Underdog Wrote: You should also consider the fact that many forms of depression are symptoms of underlying conditions, e.g., metabolic disorders such as hypothyroidism.  In my opinion, if you're depressed, you should also get a full blood panel so that if you have an underlying condition it can be treated, too.

This is why you need to see a licensed and credentialed professional. They can help sort and and rule out this stuff.
(09-27-2011, 02:04 AM)Mithrandylan Wrote: I suggest submitting yourself entirely to the will of God.  St. Ignatius' Suscipe  prayer has helped me a lot:

Take, Lord, and receive all my liberty,
my memory, my understanding,
and my entire will,
All I have and call my own.

You have given all to me.
To you, Lord, I return it.

Everything is yours; do with it what you will.
Give me only your love and your grace,
that is enough for me.

Also, feel free to PM me.

As a side note, any kind of medication, as long as it is not interfering with the intended nature and process of the human body is fine.  So if you really need pills, there's nothing wrong with it.  But first you need to figure out (with God's help) whether or not you need pills.

Hi Laetare, without having any experience with your problems myself I can't help but think that Mithrandylan's advice above is sound.  I'm in the process of doing a 9 day novena to the Little Flower, Saint Therese of Lisieux.  While reading about the Little Flower I found that she and many priests, nuns and lay people including St. Ignatius of Loyola, St. Teresa of Ávila and others had read a book titled 'The Imitation of Christ' by Thomas à Kempis.  I've started to read it myself and have found that it is what Mithrandylan suggests, "submitting yourself entirely to the will of God".  The web site about the Little Flower said that 'The Imitation of Christ' is the most widely read book after the Bible.  Anyway you can read 'The Imitation of Christ' from this link below.  I think you will find it very good.  God bless.
http://www.leaderu.com/cyber/books/imita...ation.html 
(09-27-2011, 10:36 AM)devotedknuckles Wrote: sip
u know many times ive been told id make a wicked self help guru. i should seriously consider it. i think i may be built for it. u know Dks self help tips for chumps and losers. not to long ago on this board there was chatter about me developing a self help book for that very task
mmmmmm
for the good of mankind.
of course

I think you should DK.  I'm sure it would be hilarious.  And I'm sure humour would help or at least wouldn't be harmful in these situations.
If any other part of your body was ill, would you still not say, "Thanks for this body, Lord, but I'm going to improve upon it?"... and then forgo medication?

Sometimes brain chemistry imbalances are no different than blood sugar imbalances or thyroid imbalances, etc...  Insulin and thyroid supplements can be life saving.  So can antidepressants.

Correcting a chemical imbalance anywhere in the body is not a sign of a lack of faith.  The Lord didn't intend for our bodies to be defective but we live in a fallen world, so they often are.  If you would seek medical care for a physical ailment, then you can seek medical care for a mental ailment.

I've been on different antidepressants at various times for postpartum depression or winter depression or situational depression.  The medications don't change my personality.  They allow my true personality to come forth, rather than be buried under a cloud of gloom.

Best wishes to you.  :pray2:
(09-27-2011, 05:05 AM)Roger Buck Wrote:
(09-27-2011, 01:37 AM)Laetare Wrote: Friends,

I've been trying to identify an evil hole in my heart for a long time.

Laetare, I am moved by your realness, honesty here.

I am rushing now, have not had time to look at video properly, read all comments properly.

But pressed for time as I am, I find myself wondering how much and/or other turn to the Sacraments daily?

Daily reception of the Eucharist. frequent confession, adoration also have been INCREDIBLE for me in this regard.

I confess: I am alarmed by people turning to these pills if  they have not (?) tried daily participation in the Sacraments ...

It is hard to turn to the sacraments at all when you have agoraphobia. Prayer in public places is extremely distressing, because you're always wondering what a thousand voices are saying about you behind your back. So many eyes looking, so many hearts filled with hatred, and so on. Even with my best friend in the church with me, praying, I just feel nervous and watched by everybody - I even have him on my mind, thinking of what he's thinking about me, whether he regrets being a friend to such a wretched person, and so even with someone I love and trust, it is impossible to pray in public due to lack of focus. The only way to pray earnestly in my case is with the door closed, the curtains drawn, the windows shut, and no one else around. Eucharistic adoration in a small chapel at 3 AM would still be difficult, because someone just might come in and see you...

The sacraments become a burden, because you're so worried about what the priest is thinking of you, and then you think of what the others outside the Confessional are thinking. "Why is he taking so long?"; you almost hear them whispering it, and then you turn to a thousand other worries as you're being absolved. There's the added sorrow of knowing your sacraments are not celebrated properly, and that truly reverent Catholics are hundreds of kilometers away, judging you for even being near a Mass with guitars. I can imagine this is a small fraction of the mental suffering which the damned in Hell must go through.

I seriously hate being alive when around anyone, but it's nice when I'm alone. I often wonder if I'd feel nervous around our Lord, even if He came in silence and love to embrace me without judgment.