Has the Church ever declared on anti-depressants and other such pills?
(09-27-2011, 02:04 AM)Mithrandylan Wrote: As far as I'm aware, the Church hasn't declared anything on pills- although I can tell you that I would only turn to them as a last resort.  I've been on many, many pills for reasons you've listed.  If they help at all, they'll do about 20% of the work for you.  The rest needs to be done in therapy, or better, spiritually.

In retrospect, I think many of my problems were spiritual.  Not all, and I know I actually <i>needed</i> some of the stuff I took.  But I wouldn't have needed it as long or as much.

You're a recent convert, right?  I'd suggest talking to a traditional priest about being depressed in general.  You don't need to tell him that you're thinking about pills, just talk to him about how you're feeling.  

In my experience, most emotional problems stem from pride.  On both spectrums- not just grandiosity, but depression and low self esteem.  I suggest submitting yourself entirely to the will of God.  St. Ignatius' <i>Suscipe</i>  prayer has helped me a lot:

<b>Take, Lord, and receive all my liberty,
my memory, my understanding,
and my entire will,
All I have and call my own.

You have given all to me.
To you, Lord, I return it.

Everything is yours; do with it what you will.
Give me only your love and your grace,
that is enough for me.</b>

Also, feel free to PM me.

As a side note, any kind of medication, as long as it is not interfering with the intended nature and process of the human body is fine.  So if you really need pills, there's nothing wrong with it.  But first you need to figure out (with God's help) whether or not you need pills.

THIS.  And I love that prayer. Offer even your troubled mind itself to God.  A troubled mind is not a good thing and should be fought against spiritually and even physically.  But God may allow it for some time,  for reasons He knows; perhaps to make you turn to Him, or to be less proud.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Has the Church ever declared on anti-depressants and other such pills? - by Doce Me - 09-27-2011, 03:19 AM