Catholic Patriarch excomunicates pope
(09-27-2011, 09:39 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(09-27-2011, 09:30 PM)Melkite Wrote: But heresy is based on truth, not law.  Truth can't change, so if it was true prior to the 5th Lateran Council, it's still true now.  The 5th Lateran Council can't change the truth, so if it declared it heresy, it was in error to do so, and so it is not heretical to make such a statement now.

So you're saying that an undoubted Ecumenical Council of the Church, presided over by the Pope of Rome, taught error?

Are you saying an ecumenical Council can change the truth because the Pope ratifies it?  The first 7 ecumenical councils all have canons that weren't ratified, so are non-binding.  The Lateran councils can be mostly true but still have some error in them.
(09-27-2011, 09:48 PM)Melkite Wrote: The Lateran councils can be mostly true but still have some error in them.

Well, as a Catholic, of course, I don't believe that, but I was just asking where you stood. :)
(09-27-2011, 10:45 PM)jovan66102 Wrote:
(09-27-2011, 09:48 PM)Melkite Wrote: The Lateran councils can be mostly true but still have some error in them.

Well, as a Catholic, of course, I don't believe that, but I was just asking where you stood. :)

Well, why?  As a Catholic, you also believe the equally valid first 7 ecumenical councils were not accepted completely, and that is not an issue.  Why do you have an issue with the Lateran councils?