Does the Pope possess Power to Depose Rulers and Absolve Subjects of Allegiance?
Deleted.  I can't let that be said.
::deleted::
deleted due to congruousness with previous post which was deleted, sorry for dirtying the board.
(10-06-2011, 12:02 AM)Walty Wrote:
(10-05-2011, 11:53 PM)Melkite Wrote:
(10-05-2011, 11:32 PM)Walty Wrote: Since when does Christ's authority not rule over earth?  Just because He didn't set up an earthly authority in His lifetime does not mean that He didn't intend to have one arise afterward. 

He said that his kingdom was not of this world.  That may not be a direct renunciation of the possibility of a worldly kingdom afterwards, but as always, an argument from silence isn't an argument.  You're basically saying that Christ would establish a kingdom of this world afterward, and your proof is that Christ never said he wouldn't.  Very faulty logic there.

No, my proof is the Catholic faith.

Do you have anything to back that up?
(10-06-2011, 08:06 PM)Silouan Wrote:
(10-06-2011, 12:02 AM)Walty Wrote: No, my proof is the Catholic faith.

Exhibit A: Pope Leo XIII, Annum Sacrum, 25 May 1899: "His empire includes not only Catholic nations, not only baptized persons who, though of right belonging to the Church, have been led astray by error, or have been cut off from her by schism, but also all those who are outside the Christian faith; so that truly the whole of mankind is subject to the power of Jesus Christ."

Exhibit B: Pope Pius XI, Quas Primas, 11 December 1925: "It would be a grave error, on the other hand, to say that Christ has no authority whatever in civil affairs, since, by virtue of the absolute empire over all creatures committed to him by the Father, all things are in his power. ... Thus the empire of our Redeemer embraces all men."
(10-06-2011, 09:27 PM)SouthpawLink Wrote:

Exhibit A: Pope Leo XIII, Annum Sacrum, 25 May 1899: "His empire includes not only Catholic nations, not only baptized persons who, though of right belonging to the Church, have been led astray by error, or have been cut off from her by schism, but also all those who are outside the Christian faith; so that truly the whole of mankind is subject to the power of Jesus Christ."

Exhibit B: Pope Pius XI, Quas Primas, 11 December 1925: "It would be a grave error, on the other hand, to say that Christ has no authority whatever in civil affairs, since, by virtue of the absolute empire over all creatures committed to him by the Father, all things are in his power. ... Thus the empire of our Redeemer embraces all men."

Anything pre - 1000 A.D. that says the Bishop of Rome has the authority to depose monarchs?

Christ certainly has dominion over all things, but the Church's authority (and consequently that of the pope) only encompasses the baptized.
(10-06-2011, 09:42 PM)Silouan Wrote:

Anything pre - 1000 A.D. that says the Bishop of Rome has the authority to depose monarchs?

To play the devil's advocate, who before 325 said that Christ is homoousios to the Father?
(10-06-2011, 09:58 PM)Resurrexi Wrote:
(10-06-2011, 09:42 PM)Silouan Wrote:

To play the devil's advocate, who before 325 said that Christ is homoousios to the Father?

"I and My Father are one."

- Jesus 
I'm sorry, I delete this too, I am having difficulties that I might have to explain.