Does the Pope possess Power to Depose Rulers and Absolve Subjects of Allegiance?
While we're on this Baptism and the EO discussion.

I've heard Eastern Orthodox claim you can Baptize through the air without water (I think this is only done in rare emergency situations in which for some reason water is not available), since there is moisture in the air. 

Is there any Church teaching on whether that would be valid or not?
(10-07-2011, 12:55 PM)K3vinhood Wrote: While we're on this Baptism and the EO discussion.

I've heard Eastern Orthodox claim you can Baptize through the air without water (I think this is only done in rare emergency situations in which for some reason water is not available), since there is moisture in the air. 

The Church has taught that this is *not* valid.  It has to be water.  The tiny bit of water dissolved in air is just air, just like the water (substantial water) in wine, or milk, or diet coke, ends up being not water but wine, or milk, or diet coke.

In a real emergency we still could not baptize with literal blood, or saliva, or sweat.  So if there's no water, pray.

(Tap water vs. bottle vs. river vs. pond does not matter, these are all water.)
(10-07-2011, 12:55 PM)K3vinhood Wrote: While we're on this Baptism and the EO discussion.

Wow, those are some cooky EO's then.  That's like saying you can make the eucharist out of cookies if there is a little bit of bread in them.  I think a good rule of thumb would be the same rule used for the Eucharist.  If the consecrated wine becomes so diluted with water that the wine isn't perceived to be present,Christ is no longer there.  If the water is so diluted by air that it can't be perceived to still be water, you can't be baptized with it.
(10-07-2011, 12:57 PM)newyorkcatholic Wrote:

The Church has taught that this is *not* valid.  It has to be water.  The tiny bit of water dissolved in air is just air, just like the water (substantial water) in wine, or milk, or diet coke, ends up being not water but wine, or milk, or diet coke.

In a real emergency we still could not baptize with literal blood, or saliva, or sweat.  So if there's no water, pray.

(Tap water vs. bottle vs. river vs. pond does not matter, these are all water.)

So that's a question that has actually come up before?  ???