Rick Perry Dancing with the Rabbis........
And for the vast majort of Cristian hisitory we bathed once a year, (most of Europe) didn't wear shoe laces, and stunk worse then a crack whore roasting on a summer day
good we r enlghtwnd now
(10-07-2011, 02:25 PM)devotedknuckles Wrote: And for the vast majort of Cristian hisitory we bathed once a year, (most of Europe) didn't wear shoe laces, and stunk worse then a crack whore roasting on a summer day
good we r enlghtwnd now

:laughing:
(10-07-2011, 02:22 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote:
(10-07-2011, 02:21 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: And yet, during the vast majority of Christian history, Jews were segregrated from Christians in ghettos.

I'm glad we're all more enlightened now.

Were they not segregated for their own protection? I'm asking. ...

Firstly, Jews were segregated in ghettoes because it was believed that they posed a spiritual danger to society if they freely mingled amongst Christians (vide Judaizers). Segregation simbolically meant their subjugation to Christian rulers and a punishment for their treachery against Christ.

Secondly, they were segregated because it was easier to control them thus and extract taxes from them.

Thirdly, this segragation also worked in their favour because it helped protect them from harassment, although this was not enough to stop the occasional progroms.
(10-07-2011, 02:26 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote:
(10-07-2011, 02:25 PM)devotedknuckles Wrote: And for the vast majort of Cristian hisitory we bathed once a year, (most of Europe) didn't wear shoe laces, and stunk worse then a crack whore roasting on a summer day
good we r enlghtwnd now

:laughing:

I know you feel personal about this, DK, but that's hardly an argument, if nothing else because the nature of the issues is different. That being said, you're perpetuating popular myths about the Middle Ages.

I'm not actually proposing that Jews should be segregated, I'm just making a historical exercise here. My quip was rhetorical, intended to provoke reflection on the subject. We shouldn't be so ready to dismiss our ancestors like that.
(10-07-2011, 02:21 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: And yet, during the vast majority of Christian history, Jews were segregrated from Christians in ghettos.

Yes...due to popular hatred.  Popular hatred needs to be abolished...not coddled.
(10-07-2011, 02:32 PM)Underdog Wrote:

Yes...due to popular hatred.  Popular hatred needs to be abolished...not coddled.

So this "popular hatred" ceased to exist after the Reformation and the Enlightenment, pivotal events of evangelical importance.
(10-07-2011, 02:34 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:

So this "popular hatred" ceased to exist after the Reformation and the Enlightenment, pivotal events of evangelical importance.

No...it still exists...even on FE.  And I regard it not as enlightenment, but as a spiritual work of mercy to root out this popular hatred by admonishing the sinner and instructing the ignorant, who are the usual suspects when it comes to bigotry and prejudice.
UD is my hero.
(10-07-2011, 02:48 PM)Underdog Wrote:
(10-07-2011, 02:34 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote:

No...it still exists...even on FE.  And I regard it not as enlightenment, but as a spiritual work of mercy to root out this popular hatred by admonishing the sinner and instructing the ignorant, who are the usual suspects when it comes to bigotry and prejudice.

But you'll concede, as you have conceded in the past, that Catholic nations that segregated the Jews or that expelled them from their countries were just wrong and that Protestant nations that welcomed them with full rights of citizenship were right. And this was no small historical happening, mind you.

What I contend here is that this phenomenon was not due solely to popular hatred (like the infamous pogroms) but to a deeper cause rooted in the innate distrust the Christian feels towards the Jew. During the glory days of Christendom, the Jews weren't segregated and discriminated just because of the ignorance or the prejudice of bad Christians unless you want to label the majority of the faithful of those centuries as ignorants and bigots. Rather, it was something common to all men of all ranks, either secular or ecclesiastical, up there to the Popes themselves that enacted laws in their own realms to deal with the Judaic problem in those harsh terms.

When the enemies of the Church say that the roots of the "Holocaust" are in Christianity itself they're exaggerating but, in some respects, they're not that far off.

My question, then, is if you and others concede that the Church was simply wrong in condoning this social behaviour? And, if so, isn't it curious to you that it was the heretics and the atheists those who acted accordingly to the Gospel? In your opinion, that is.
St. Simon of Trent pray for us.