The Father as head of the family
It's a great picture! Don't ever let anyone tell you there is anything wrong with that ideal either!
I just feel as if I do not have a father sometimes because of the fact that my father does not give of himself and my stepfather has been hard on me and is just not my real father to begin with. And my mother is basically the one in authority because otherwise if my stepfather were the authority he would be tyrannical it seems.
The way I see it:
The father makes all the final decisions, but he makes all decisions putting his wife and family first. He must take on the responsibility (wife & family first) in order to get the privilege (final say).
Of course, it helps the husband with his responsibility if he consults his wife when he is unsure.
So yes a father and husband should be "king" of his household then with his wife being the queen (who can influence him in many mysterious ways I imagine[Image: laff.gif]), but the father and husband should not be a tyrant, much less his wife over household. Am I correct?
I was reading St. John Chyrsostum on marriage. The man pulls no punches. The father is the head of the family without question in all temporal matters period, and should therefore offer himself entirely to the welfare of his family as Christ did for His Church dying to himself for the good of the family.

When things go wrong, it's the man's fault; when things go well he's a poor servant of Jesus Christ and deserves nothing. He should never be self-seeking, yet always leading not only by word but by example.

I wish Eve never tempted Adam. St. Augustine may have called it a felix culpa (happy fault) but I wish I could have seen the other version first-hand too. LOL

MikeSolimanto Wrote:I was reading St. John Chyrsostum on marriage. The man pulls no punches. The father is the head of the family without question in all temporal matters period, and should therefore offer himself entirely to the welfare of his family as Christ did for His Church dying to himself for the good of the family.

You will often hear women say that they are looking for a man to be the spiritual leader of the family, but I found this to mean in only spiritual matters and not necessarily the temporal order. I found this out the hard way and sadly it is the prevalent attitude even amongst most Catholics.
Although the husband is the head of his household he does not or should not  make all the decision on any particular matter of family life. 

This would seem to be an impossibility given mans fallen nature.  He must, quite frequently, look to his spouse for guidance, lest the label "Tyrant" entire the scene. 

Still, he is the authority within the family.

:crucif:

aspergesme Wrote:Although the husband is the head of his household he does not or should not  make all the decision on any particular matter of family life. 

This would seem to be an impossibility given mans fallen nature.  He must, quite frequently, look to his spouse for guidance, lest the label "Tyrant" entire the scene.
Asking the advice of others or looking to them for guidance does not mean the husband is making the decision any less.