Flu Shots
What can you tell me about flu shots?
They exist.
The doctors say they're safe, but I've never gotten one.  I'm reasonably healthy and reasonably strong; if I get the flu, I'll miss a couple days of work but it probably won't kill me.

So I don't bother.
(10-09-2011, 09:23 PM)Lydia Grace Wrote: What can you tell me about flu shots?

This is a very hot topic.

Here are some sites I suggest you look at. We all know what the CDC says, this is info on the other side to help you make your choice.

http://vaccines.mercola.com/

One note about the flu vaccine specifically

Thimerosal is a widely used vaccine preservative that is present in the majority of flu shots and other vaccines. Thimerosal is 49% mercury by volume, an extremely toxic chemical element that wreaks havoc on the nervous system, neurological function, and overall biological function [1]. Each dose of flu vaccine contains around 25 micrograms of thimerosal, over 250 times the Environmental Protection Agency’s safety limit of exposure.

http://naturalsociety.com/flu-shots-cont...l-mercury/

I feel worse when I get a cold than when I get a flu.  I don't really trust the flu shot anyway.
When I was enrolled in pre-nursing school, I had a microbiology professor who was rather pro-vaccine, and even he said that flu vaccines are a racket.  The flu virus is often thwarted by the body's first immune defenses, and so only rarely turns into an actual infection.  Your chances for contracting it are so slim, that most people only face one or two true flu infections throughout their entire lives.  When people complain of having "the flu" 99% of the time they are only infected with either a cold virus, or perhaps rotavirus.  If you do succumb, while you will become very sick, you are more likely to suffer some permanent repercussion from the vaccine than you are the flu itself.  Adverse reactions to the vaccine, while uncommon, can be severe and cause life-long disability, usually involving neurological problems.  The vaccine might make sense for immuno-compromised individuals, except that vaccines themselves can be more dangerous for immuno-compromised individuals.

I actually had the swine flu.  It was a little rougher than having a bad cold, I had severe coughing attacks and difficulty breathing, but it was over in just 3 days.
I have no strong feelings either way. I haven't had a 'flu shot in years, but I would point out that the 'flu kills 40,000+ people in the US every year and 4,000+ in Canada, with 250,000-500,000 deaths worldwide every year. The great 'Spanish 'flu' pandemic of 1918-20 killed between 50,000,000 and a hundred million people world wide. It is nothing to sneeze at. Do your research and make up your mind about the shot.
Everyone I know who gets the flu shot . . . gets the flu. Everyone I know (including myself) who does not get the flu shot does not get the flu.

Go figure.
It's my understanding that it makes sense for someone who is unlikely to handle the flu well, like a senior citizen, to get a flu short, but for the rest of us I don't think it's really that valuable.  The flu shot is a bit of a crap shoot since they have no idea what strain will be prevalent in a given year.