Flu Shots
(10-10-2011, 01:45 AM)INPEFESS Wrote: Everyone I know who gets the flu shot . . . gets the flu. Everyone I know (including myself) who does not get the flu shot does not get the flu.

Go figure.
It's confirmation bias. Those that get the flu and tell you "but I took the shot". And its probably just a bad cold anyways.
I had real full blown influenza at one time. I couldn't leave my room for a week, I was so weakened. It took another two weeks to recover. And I have the best immune system of anyone I know.
The flu is serious business. It almost killed my stepfather just last month. Needless to say, my family got vaccinated.
(10-09-2011, 09:33 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote: The doctors say they're safe, but I've never gotten one.  I'm reasonably healthy and reasonably strong; if I get the flu, I'll miss a couple days of work but it probably won't kill me.

So I don't bother.

This...except that I don't get to miss work (I'm a SAHM).  I am somehow able to muddle thru, tho, even after waiting hand and foot on 4 other patients.  I say just drink lotsa water, get lotsa rest, and wash yer hands a lot.
(10-10-2011, 01:48 AM)Someone1776 Wrote: It's my understanding that it makes sense for someone who is unlikely to handle the flu well, like a senior citizen, to get a flu short, but for the rest of us I don't think it's really that valuable.  The flu shot is a bit of a crap shoot since they have no idea what strain will be prevalent in a given year. 

And this.
(10-10-2011, 01:49 AM)Louis_Martin Wrote: And I have the best immune system of anyone I know.

lol
I don't know if I've ever actually had the flu or even how you tell the difference between a bad cold and influenza.  I guess you puke when you get the flu, right?

(10-10-2011, 10:36 AM)Walty Wrote: I don't know if I've ever actually had the flu or even how you tell the difference between a bad cold and influenza.  I guess you puke when you get the flu, right?
The flu fatigues. You get a super high fever and you become very weak.
(10-09-2011, 09:23 PM)Lydia Grace Wrote: What can you tell me about flu shots?

Don't take 'em. Any MD worth his salt will tell you they don't actually prevent the flu.Often times they will give u a non seasonal variety.I know folk who regularly get 2 doses of flu as a result of taking shots.
Most shots are several years old and they can never hope to predict what strain of flu will be in vogue any given season anyway.Its a crap shoot. And the adjuvants and preservatives will probably give you Alzheimers in time.

Everything Ive just said was a paraphrase of an interview with an MD on local radio the other day apart from the Last bit. The whole endeavor is so vague and unscientific as to be nothing more than a money racket.
What I was taught is that the flu affects you everywhere, head, throat, chest, stomach, bowels, etc.  Combined with a high fever that can last for days and severe weakness.  The flu can take 1-2 weeks to run it's course in a healthy person if it doesn't turn into a secondary infection such as pneumonia, sinusitis, or worst... meningitis. 

The swine flu was notably much milder, only lasting 3-5 days in most healthy individuals, but it was reported that it had a more severe cough than regular flu, almost like whooping cough.
I'd like to add... my father had a case of the flu about 2 years ago.  Really took him out, and he recognized it as the only time in his life he was ever that sick.  He has been receiving the flu vaccination every fall for the past 8 years or so, apparently it did nothing to prevent him from catching it.