Flu Shots
(10-10-2011, 10:59 AM)miss_fluffy Wrote: What I was taught is that the flu affects you everywhere, head, throat, chest, stomach, bowels, etc.  Combined with a high fever that can last for days and severe weakness.

Sounds like mono.
Mono has fewer acute symptoms than the flu, but the weakness and fatigue associated with mono can last many months.
(10-10-2011, 12:03 PM)miss_fluffy Wrote: Mono has fewer acute symptoms than the flu, but the weakness and fatigue associated with mono can last many months.

I had mono once and was running a high fever for several weeks without any let up.  All in all, it took me months to recover and be able to get up and have a normal day.  It was the sickest I've ever been.  Nasty bug.
(10-10-2011, 12:49 PM)Walty Wrote: I had mono once and was running a high fever for several weeks without any let up.  All in all, it took me months to recover and be able to get up and have a normal day.  It was the sickest I've ever been.  Nasty bug.

Wayne Campbell Wrote:I once thought I had mono for an entire year. It turned out I was just really bored.
(10-10-2011, 04:39 PM)WhollyRoaminCatholic Wrote:
(10-10-2011, 12:49 PM)Walty Wrote: I had mono once and was running a high fever for several weeks without any let up.  All in all, it took me months to recover and be able to get up and have a normal day.  It was the sickest I've ever been.  Nasty bug.

Wayne Campbell Wrote:I once thought I had mono for an entire year. It turned out I was just really bored.

I've been bored my whole life.  This was something different. 
I’ve never had the flu in my life. I only got the shot a few years in high school because my mom made me. I don’t get them.
I had the flu as a freshman and as a masters student...Both times I was laid up for days with severe aches, fatigue, and cold-like symptoms.  Terrible.  A few years ago I had...something.  Mono, maybe.  I had no appetite and the symptoms lasted a month.  I felt horribly fatigued and just wanted to lay down all the time.  I lost 20 pounds.  I don't generally visit doctors except when I have an ear infection.  I hate those!

I forgot to mention that I rarely get sick (once or twice per year), and I don't usually get a flu shot.  There are just too many variables in immunizations and inoculations for my taste.  I try to avoid.
I would avoid them. Most of the time they are ineffective. Some are grown on aborted babies. I avoid them like the plague.
(10-11-2011, 03:27 PM)Scriptorium Wrote: I would avoid them. Most of the time they are ineffective. Some are grown on aborted babies. I avoid them like the plague.
None of the flu shots are grown using aborted babies.
The flu shots are developed using chicken embryos.  There is some evidence that this has led to a higher incidence of egg-allergy in flu shot recipients, especially when given to small children.