Is it a sin to "hate" a saint?
(10-10-2011, 05:02 PM)miss_fluffy Wrote: Disliking the attention a Saint receives is different than disliking the Saint him/herself.  I would be concerned about your feelings and discuss them with a priest.  It is spiritually dangerous to harbor envy, jealousy, etc.  about anyone, let alone a saint.  So it's something that would be wise for you to work on overcoming.  I can understand wanting to look to a saint who mirrors your own situation in life, this is why I have been focusing on St. Zellie Martin lately.  Have you looked into St. Rose of Lima?  She was a virgin and one of the early saints of the Americas.

Interesting you mentioned Bl. Zelie Martin. Seraphina, I used to "hate" her! Not really hate I don't think, but I was annoyed whenever I encountered her because I thought she was just plain weird and just could not relate. In my case I think it was pride because her strengths were exactly what my weaknesses are. And of course she was extremely holy and had very few weaknesses. If I were honest at the time I would have said, "I am nothing like you. I don't want to think about how much my life needs amending. So why don't you just go away and leave me alone?"  But we're friends now. :)
(10-10-2011, 07:34 PM)Seraphina V Wrote:  I give up.  I guess I should simply give up.  All I wanted was a role model.  I guess I"LL never fit in.  I'll go to Confession, Adoration, and ask Our Lord to forgive me.  But I'll never fit in with the Church, as far as it's people are concerned.

I'm in about the same boat as you - never married, not a religious, and several years older than you.  It's bothered me that I don't seem to have one of the usual vocations (although I could be wrong).  But doing God's will is what He calls us to.  As far as not having a saint  "like me" it has not bothered me that much; I just think of what IS common between us - what I can follow them in, what  they can help me with.  All humans really fit in with all other humans, especially  when they are Catholic.  Being a member of the Communion of Saints means you do fit in!
(10-10-2011, 07:34 PM)Seraphina V Wrote:  I give up.  I guess I should simply give up.  All I wanted was a role model.  I guess I"LL never fit in.  I'll go to Confession, Adoration, and ask Our Lord to forgive me.  But I'll never fit in with the Church, as far as it's people are concerned.

You won't if you keep putting nationality above the Church. You're the one putting the limits on this, not the Church. Rejecting saints because they don't meet some narrow criteria is not only a lack of humility, but it also hurts you in the long run.  Pick various saints for the different aspects that appeal to you.  For example, St. Katherine Ann Drexel because she's American; St. Teresa of Avila for her toughness; Blessed Jacinta Marto for her holiness (by the way, today's the anniversary of the Great Sign at Fatima).  Don't limit yourself and then declare that you don't fit in.

I think your dislike of St. Elizabeth is making you hyper-aware and this feeds the dislike more.  I myself never notice anything about St. Elizabeth Ann Seton, but I bet I will now.  That's the way things tend to work; once we're made aware of something, we keep seeing it everywhere. but it's our awareness most of the time, not more increased appearances, of the thing that's the cause.