Jesus wasn't crucified!
(10-28-2011, 06:01 PM)ecclesiastes Wrote:
(10-28-2011, 05:39 PM)Walty Wrote: Well, he attested to the many wondrous deeds performed by Jesus.

Only in the "Testimonium Flavianum" passage but nowhere else in all his works. And that passage is problematic, as not everyone accepts it as authentic. But even if it is authentic, one single passage is not quite "well documented", and quite remarkable that we do not have any Roman documents on this event at all.

You sound like you're trying to argue against the crucifixion ever happening.
(10-28-2011, 06:10 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: Why would there be any roman documents?

Because this all happened in a Roman world.
(10-28-2011, 06:34 PM)ecclesiastes Wrote:
(10-28-2011, 06:10 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: Why would there be any roman documents?

That is what the OP implied:

(10-27-2011, 10:39 PM)drummerboy Wrote: Mohammed conveniently ignored a well documented event (Rome had one of the most literate civilizations ever)

Considering that it's an event which probably 95% of the world's population believes happened, I think we have some reason to believe that it was documented well enough.
(10-28-2011, 06:21 PM)Walty Wrote: You sound like you're trying to argue against the crucifixion ever happening.

Whether it happened or not is a different question. I'm only stating here that there is little historical documentation for it.
I'm sorry but the Muslim religion is ridiculous. Did anyone else catch that they are suing the CATHOLIC university because they can't find a place to pray without crucifixes and pictures of Jesus? I wonder if they'd provide a room with Crucifixes and pictures of Jesus if I were attending the Muslim university in Saudi Arabia...or in America for that matter.
(10-28-2011, 06:37 PM)Walty Wrote: Considering that it's an event which probably 95% of the world's population believes happened, I think we have some reason to believe that it was documented well enough.

Seriously?

Their beliefs are irrelevant to the question of whether this was well documented in the first century or not.
In his account of Nero's persecution, the Roman historian Tacitus discusses the execution of Jesus, though he doesn't claim he was crucified per se.
(10-28-2011, 06:41 PM)ecclesiastes Wrote:
(10-28-2011, 06:37 PM)Walty Wrote: Considering that it's an event which probably 95% of the world's population believes happened, I think we have some reason to believe that it was documented well enough.

Seriously?

Their beliefs are irrelevant to the question of whether this was well documented in the first century or not.
Considering that time changed after it happended (B.C. to A.D.), that we know Pontius Pilate was a Roman governor, the four Gospels, the unbroken chain of Popes, the Shroud of Turin, Miracles, Padre Pio, and the Catholic Church. I'd say it's safe to say that it happened, and if you don't believe it that's fine, you will once you meet God face to face on your personal day of judgement.
(10-28-2011, 06:48 PM)Pilgrim Wrote: In his account of Nero's persecution, the Roman historian Tacitus discusses the execution of Jesus, though he doesn't claim he was crucified per se.

True. I forgot about Tacitus when I made my earlier comment. But even that is relatively late (second century), about 80 years or so after the events, and
(10-28-2011, 06:54 PM)ecclesiastes Wrote:
(10-28-2011, 06:48 PM)Pilgrim Wrote: In his account of Nero's persecution, the Roman historian Tacitus discusses the execution of Jesus, though he doesn't claim he was crucified per se.

True. I forgot about Tacitus when I made my earlier comment. But even that is relatively late (second century), about 80 years or so after the events, and

True, but the account does indicate that the story was known outside of Christian circles at a relatively early date and was used as a point of criticism against Christians.