The Curse Of OCPD
:pray2: Gilbert, I've been remembering you at Mass lately. I can empathize (at least to a degree), having struggled with anxiety issues myself for some time now.
HG, I'm amazed by your self-awareness. That's a tremendous grace! I'm very hopeful for you! And I keep you in my prayers! Many 'your welcomes' in advance!  :pray2:
One more thing: you're already showing that this cross has born fruit in you, in your obvious compassion for others, especially your parents. How many people from families like yours can show such understanding? That's a rare grace, HG. Thank you for that example. That's precious to me.  :)
HG, I generally agree with those who say that books, per se, are not the answer,but here's one that actually helped me a lot with a condition that seems to have been at least similar to your own:

http://www.booksforcatholics.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=B&Product_Code=1929291876&Category_Code=Catholic_Psychology

I didn't do a terribly thorough search, but I don't think you can find the whole thing online.

I'd like to PM you sometime, if that's OK.

:pray:
(04-23-2012, 06:57 PM)JuniorCouncilor Wrote: HG, I generally agree with those who say that books, per se, are not the answer,but here's one that actually helped me a lot with a condition that seems to have been at least similar to your own:

http://www.booksforcatholics.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=B&Product_Code=1929291876&Category_Code=Catholic_Psychology

I didn't do a terribly thorough search, but I don't think you can find the whole thing online.

I'd like to PM you sometime, if that's OK.

:pray:

Maybe later on. I'll be seeing my shrink this weekend to do more diagnostic work. It looks like, along with OCPD, I may also have Asperger's Syndrome, a form of Autism. And I will confess, it has only helped to increase the anger in me toward God, as well as losing the virtue of Hope.

Thank you, BTW, for your prayers. I know they will help very much.
After I had my first baby, I had the first of several rounds of postpartum mental issues.  I was terrified of being abducted by aliens.  I was so stupid, and I knew it was stupid, but I felt terrified.  I remember laying awake at night unable to stop thinking about it.  The baby would start crying and I would get these irresistible mental pictures of people torturing him.  Exercise helped, prayer helped,alcohol made it worse, but It was a really miserable time for me. I had similar paranoid/depressed tendencies after my second and third babies as well.  During my fourth pregnancy, I changed to a more traditional diet and began taking probiotics aggressively.  I haven't had a problem since, and I know other people who have resolved mental issues after changing their diets and balancing their gut bacteria.  I don't imagine that probiotics are a panacea for mental illness, but it might be worth a try. 
(04-26-2012, 09:51 AM)Johanna Wrote: After I had my first baby, I had the first of several rounds of postpartum mental issues.  I was terrified of being abducted by aliens.  I was so stupid, and I knew it was stupid, but I felt terrified.  I remember laying awake at night unable to stop thinking about it.  The baby would start crying and I would get these irresistible mental pictures of people torturing him.  Exercise helped, prayer helped,alcohol made it worse, but It was a really miserable time for me. I had similar paranoid/depressed tendencies after my second and third babies as well. 

During my fourth pregnancy, I changed to a more traditional diet and began taking probiotics aggressively.  I haven't had a problem since, and I know other people who have resolved mental issues after changing their diets and balancing their gut bacteria.  I don't imagine that probiotics are a panacea for mental illness, but it might be worth a try. 

Better that than nothing. Thank you so much for your kindness.
I wish I had more to offer you.. but what on earth am I saying, I'm offering my Mass today for you.  (It is at 4PM PST)
(04-29-2012, 04:42 PM)Doce Me Wrote: I wish I had more to offer you.. but what on earth am I saying, I'm offering my Mass today for you.  (It is at 4PM PST)

A multitude of thank-yous heading your way. :)