Multivitamins
(11-02-2011, 01:14 PM)piabee Wrote: I asked my doctor if I should and she said it's better for young people to get their nutrients from food, so no.

Sounds like a doctor who would tell you a diet low in saturated fats is good for you. Or if you had a high serum cholesterol to reduce red meat intake. Or to lost weight, take in less calories than you use-- it's that simple!

Booooring.

Take a multi. Sheesh.
(11-05-2011, 03:26 AM)Iuvenalis Wrote:
(11-02-2011, 01:14 PM)piabee Wrote: I asked my doctor if I should and she said it's better for young people to get their nutrients from food, so no.

Sounds like a doctor who would tell you a diet low in saturated fats is good for you. Or if you had a high serum cholesterol to reduce red meat intake. Or to lost weight, take in less calories than you use-- it's that simple!

Booooring.

Take a multi. Sheesh.

The only diet specifics she gave was to recommend protein at breakfast. Why should I take vitamins when I'm generally healthy?
(11-05-2011, 03:39 AM)piabee Wrote: The only diet specifics she gave was to recommend protein at breakfast. Why should I take vitamins when I'm generally healthy?

Just to play devil's advocate:  (and I am *not* giving medical advice to any one in particular about what they should do)

Our diets are very very different than what the used to be, for cultural reasons, manufacturing, preservatives, processed foods, etc.  So it's likely that we are dealing with the effects of this some of which are obvious (rampant obesity, diabetes, etc), but also not so obvious  It's very likely one of the not-so-obvious effects is mild deficiencies in vitamins, maybe even only at varying times, which don't cause obvious pathology but might affect energy level, wound healing, etc.

To argue against the idea that they are not absorbed: well, they aren't absorbed well.  Better if you take them with food.

So not an amazing benefit, and healthy people who don't take them are not really losing out on much. But they are cheap, and probably help some people.

Given the state of the evidence, my summary position tends to be something like, "multivitamins, meh, why not?, they probably help."

I take them inconsistently.
I do when my wife buys them. We're between bottles right now.
Yes.  I started in college when I wasn't sure I was getting all the right stuff from the dining hall food, and I just kept doing it.  I really have no idea whether or not it does any good.
I take Lifestream Spirulina, every day.

http://www.lifestream.co.nz/Products/Lif...fault.aspx
I also take D3 in the winter time when the days are short. Lots and lots of D3.....lol
I don't take a multi- vitamin but I do take a multitude of different individual ones.Why ? Because modern food and veg is way down in terms of nutritional content as a result of modern farming practices.You have to supplement to stay on a normal health operating level. One obvious manifestation of the result of this is that I no longer get colds.Used to get 'em bad twice a year.Now I occasionally get a sniffle every few years

See my above post. You will never get all you need from store bought food sadly.