General fired for telling the truth
(11-06-2011, 11:32 PM)devotedknuckles Wrote: such is this ugly fallen world. has it ever been different with states?

No, it never has. However, there is one difference. Now we have some people who know how to think. No longer is it the case that the rich do what they want and the peasantry hasn't a clue.

So the good news is that some of us get to see the evil in this fallen world in living color. The bad news is that it can sometimes drive us nuts.

But that is why patience is a virtue. And this is the Cross for some of us in the modern world. Personally, I think I would rather be working my field and paying tribute to my lord, or working in the guilds at some kind of craft. Or if I hit it really lucky, I could have had a patron and been a real artist.

But, no complaints. Just observation.
I honestly and sincerely believe feudalism is a better system for a guy like me, put it that way!
DK, one other thought occured to me. It may be a minor point, but I don't think it is.

Perhaps it is in your definition of "states", but what we are talking about is a new era of globalization run by oligarchs. I still use the term "states" to mean on organized nation run by statesmen for the benefit and protection of her people. Those days are long gone and now we see something like "Oligarchs Without Borders".

My apologies in advance for nicking the term from the organization known as Doctors without Borders.

The truth of the matter is the vast majority of us do not stand for anything, nor do we have loyalty or allegiance to anything anymore. And of course this has been skillfully engineered by our masters.

"Have a nice day" and "would you like fries with that", etc.
states have never been run for the benefit of the people. only for the benefit of the few. that's not to say in certain states the people didn't have  better living standards then others in other states. that's true but when u boil all the smoke and mirrors away.
the state is just a monopoly of force in the hands of the few used against the heads of the emany
in every state and any state this is so. some states r more open about it and blatant (usually when the state starts cracking) others r more smart and cautious about it. (usually when the state is doing just fine) but make no mistake
the state is not some neutral tool as Marxist argue to be used by either class for its interests. its its own interest. and the state divorced from CHRIST is the coldest of cold monsters.
the states a tumour. an aberration. we don't need it. we only have been trained to believe we do.
we can do better
we lived without a state before as a species we can do it again
it's interesting how St Thomas Aquinas sets out categorically the types of government from best to worst, and when they are good governments the list goes one way but in the case of bad governments it inverts.
So a good monarchy is the best form of government but a bad monarchy is the worst form and so forth.
(11-07-2011, 01:37 PM)devotedknuckles Wrote: states have never been run for the benefit of the people. only for the benefit of the few. that's not to say in certain states the people didn't have  better living standards then others in other states. that's true but when u boil all the smoke and mirrors away.
the state is just a monopoly of force in the hands of the few used against the heads of the emany
in every state and any state this is so. some states r more open about it and blatant (usually when the state starts cracking) others r more smart and cautious about it. (usually when the state is doing just fine) but make no mistake
the state is not some neutral tool as Marxist argue to be used by either class for its interests. its its own interest. and the state divorced from CHRIST is the coldest of cold monsters.
the states a tumour. an aberration. we don't need it. we only have been trained to believe we do.
we can do better

But some states have been run in accordance of natural law with Supernatural Virtues as the underlying status quo. More souls have gone to Heaven in the Catholic monarchies than have in the liberal democracies. That's what matters and that's what makes a government better than others: did they protect the souls by promoting the sacraments. The closest to Heaven on Earth we've ever had was the Bavarain and/or Austrian realms of the 12th century: Mass, bier, farming, woodworking, meat, family, processions, etc.
(11-07-2011, 08:08 PM)Heinrich Wrote:
(11-07-2011, 01:37 PM)devotedknuckles Wrote: states have never been run for the benefit of the people. only for the benefit of the few. that's not to say in certain states the people didn't have  better living standards then others in other states. that's true but when u boil all the smoke and mirrors away.
we can do better

But some states have been run in accordance of natural law with Supernatural Virtues as the underlying status quo. More souls have gone to Heaven in the Catholic monarchies than have in the liberal democracies. That's what matters and that's what makes a government better than others: did they protect the souls by promoting the sacraments. The closest to Heaven on Earth we've ever had was the Bavarain and/or Austrian realms of the 12th century: Mass, bier, farming, woodworking, meat, family, processions, etc.

Heinrich, My Godmother is from Kempten, Allgäu.  She lives in Hawaii, her husband is a retired USMC Major, her family has their ancestral home in the alps outside of Kempten where she was born and raised.  When I was in my college years I spent a summer, and then a few years later a winter, vacationing with her in Germany.  Her brothers, one is a forester and the other owns a trout farm,  would drink weissbier with me. They explained to me how Bavaria is so different from Northern Germany because of it's Catholic heritage, and they were very proud of that fact..  Then when I traveled to Northern Germany I experienced first hand what they were talking about.  It really was as Belloc observed,

“Wherever the Catholic sun doth shine,
There’s always laughter and good red wine.
At least I’ve always found it so.
Benedicamus Domino!”

Only in Bavaria it's good bier, not red wine.
Das ist so cool. Do you speak German?

Bavarians do indulge in white wine when wine is called for. And Schnapps. As for me, Ich bleibe beim Bier.

(11-07-2011, 09:53 PM)Heinrich Wrote: Das ist so cool. Do you speak German?

Bavarians do indulge in white wine when wine is called for. And Schnapps. As for me, Ich bleibe beim Bier.

No, I don't speak the the language.  Yeah, I drank some great Riesling, Eiswein and Scnapps.  Of course it was usually to wash down heaps of Schweinsbraten, Leberkäse, Kässpatzen and awesome Cream of Mushroom Soup my Godmom made from wild shrooms we picked in the forest.  Good times!
wild shrooms? be careful, doesn't gymnopilus purpuratus grow quite abundantly around bavaria? pig farms i'm told...