At what point does gluttony start?
(11-17-2011, 02:39 PM)Old Salt Wrote:
(11-09-2011, 03:22 PM)drummerboy Wrote: I've read that Aquinas said that gluttony becomes sinful when you are willing to sin to get food.  That doesn't cover the basis of temperence in how much we eat though.
So if one steals a brownie, and does not need it, it is gluttony?
I would call this just stealing.

That's a very good question and I'd like to know. Not about the stealing but the eating.
To me gluttony could have several manifestations, just like the other deadly sins.  Here are some things I think fall into the category of gluttony:

1.  Eating substantially more than your caloric needs on a regular basis; eating yourself sick.
2.  Eating when one is not hungry.
3.  Binging and purging
4.  Habitually eating expensive or luxurious items or eschewing common or normal food in favor of expensive food.
5.  Wasting or throwing away food.
We were taught pre Vatican II, that gluttony of the Capital Sins is the hardest to be mortal. Overeating isn't mortal until you purge the food to eat more. This was a Roman thing. As I recall one that eats to the point of gluttony also has a sort of drunkness from the food and runs at the mouth in a sort of vulgar babble. This would make the girls that purge because they think they are fat the most likely candidates for mortal sin of gluttony. Okay I'll look it up.

Gluttony is a capital sin. They are called Capital sins, not because they, in themselves are the greatest sins, but because they are the chief reasons why men committ sin.  Baltimore Catechism, no.75.

Baltimore Catechism no. 75 e; Gluttony is the source of dullness of mind, excessive talkativeness, and gross and vulgar speech.

tim
(11-17-2011, 11:56 PM)Tim Wrote: We were taught pre Vatican II, that gluttony of the Capital Sins is the hardest to be mortal. Overeating isn't mortal until you purge the food to eat more. This was a Roman thing. As I recall one that eats to the point of gluttony also has a sort of drunkness from the food and runs at the mouth in a sort of vulgar babble. This would make the girls that purge because they think they are fat the most likely candidates for mortal sin of gluttony. Okay I'll look it up.

Gluttony is a capital sin. They are called Capital sins, not because they, in themselves are the greatest sins, but because they are the chief reasons why men committ sin.  Baltimore Catechism, no.75.

Baltimore Catechism no. 75 e; Gluttony is the source of dullness of mind, excessive talkativeness, and gross and vulgar speech.

tim

Thanks be to God!

I thought I had committed gluttony, I even confessed it, but this means I was never a glutton!
I'm hungry.
(11-09-2011, 03:27 PM)Servire Deo Wrote: This is really confusing. Nobody can agree on where gluttony starts.

Maybe it's better to be on the safe side and not eat snacks at all.

I would think that one could recognize the sin of gluttony, by taking a look at their weight. If it's in the healthy range for one's height I don't think that person has a problem with the sin of gluttony. Of course, there are other reasons for weight gain.......some medications cause one to have an almost insatiable appetite, also thyroid problems can bring this about. Myself, I notice, I'm an emotional eater. I eat when I'm upset. Of course. when I'm REALLY worried about something.........over a period of days or weeks, I completely lose my appetite.

One more thing. gluttony occurs when we are eating a meal, our hunger is satisfied to the point of being really full & we continue to eat simply because it tastes good. I don't have a problem with this, but my husband does. Gluttony, like Sloth, seems to be a "forgotten sin."
JoniCath,
I agree, but it's rarely a mortal sin unless for the reasons I mentioned, and the signs are as spoken about above. Don't confuse mortification with eating properly. The Monks and Hermits don't eat much not because it's proper eating but in mortification they offer it up.

One more thing, I'm fat seriously, and my calories are about 2500 per day, though some days I get it down to 1500. Over the years I've seen that I don't eat much more than my co-orkers. All of this is a peamble to this, because of me being fat I'm always interested in serious articles on eating habits. In the middle ages according to stuff I read the average man ate 5000 calories, including one or two lbs. of bread. The Amish eat three square meals a day the kind a man would love to eat. My theory and I'm speculating here is that the food has changed and not the people.
I can tell you from experience nothing tastes like it used to before when vegetables were seasonal, cows weren't fed what ever, and chickens who knows what they are. Organic is a ruse to get us to eat GMO.  The US and the UK are the first two nations with an obesity problem and both eat GMO food stuffs. I'm not sure but I suspect Monsanto has more to do with this than overeating.

tim 
Servire you should get a Baltimore Catechism #3 from Tan. It's the best and it is clear on everything. It could be key to solving the scrupulosity for you. God didn't make it so hard that we need to walk around in a bubble suit not touching nor being part of this world. Christ said my yoke is light. A yoke is made for two oxen to pull, and the other ox so to speak is Christ. Moreover and I am as sure as a man can be that the Shroud of Turin is Jesus' burial cloth. According to NASA He was 5'10" to 6' 0" and weighed between 180 lbs. and 200 lbs. That ain't skinny.

tim
A part of the problem with today's food is High Fructose Corn Syrup. There's a little place in our brains that tells us when we are full from eating. HFCS shuts that off and we keep eating even though we've had
enough. It's extremely cheap and boosts calories. The corn industry pressures food companies to use it cause its pure profit.  HFCS is supposed to be listed in the ingredients if it's present in the food.
Probably, Starry Plough, but I don't eat processed foods, never did very much.

tim