At what point does gluttony start?
Gluttony is an odd thing to me, because I don't see how the qualifier can be "eating for the sake of eating."  Or eating to enjoy.  If that was the case, candy, pop, beer and anything you don't <i>need</i> to ingest would be a sin to. 

Because how many of you eat a piece of candy because you're hungry?  Or drink a beer because you're dehydrated (joking aside)?  And what about the "wanting" of a food?  Like when you sit down and all of a sudden you're like "I'd really like a cracker with a piece of cheese right now" or "I'd really like to have a cup of apple juice right now."  You've just been gluttonous of gluttony is qualified by eating to enjoy or for the sake of itself.  In fact, if that's really what gluttony is then we should all just eat a little bit, wait until we're near fainting and eat a little bit more.  Just eat enough to stay alive. 

I always thought that gluttony was about overindulgence.  Like, eating past the point of satiation purposefully and with the intention of eating just for the sake of eating.  Because we've all overate before but I don't think we're glottonous every time we overeat, are we?  Sometimes it's just an accident. 
More Catholic Discussion: http://thetradforum.com/

Go thy ways, old Jack;
die when thou wilt, if manhood, good manhood, be
not forgot upon the face of the earth, then am I a
shotten herring. There live not three good men
unhanged in England; and one of them is fat and
grows old: God help the while! a bad world, I say.
I would I were a weaver; I could sing psalms or any
thing. A plague of all cowards, I say still.

Messages In This Thread
Re: At what point does gluttony start? - by Mithrandylan - 11-09-2011, 09:08 AM
Re: At what point does gluttony start? - by Tim - 11-17-2011, 11:56 PM
Re: At what point does gluttony start? - by Tim - 11-18-2011, 07:53 AM
Re: At what point does gluttony start? - by Tim - 11-18-2011, 08:09 AM
Re: At what point does gluttony start? - by Tim - 11-18-2011, 09:13 AM
Re: At what point does gluttony start? - by Tim - 11-18-2011, 04:16 PM