Nov 12 Bp Williamson column
Bp. Williamson has a profound understanding of men and women.
(11-12-2011, 01:14 PM)timoose Wrote: Not only do you guys have on your secret "men" glasses but the hearing aids too. This reminds me of a conversation I had with a cop friend (undercover narcotics) while we were pounding a few at the end of the bar, concerning abortion always being premeditated murder. At the other end was his wife and the barmaid and four of their girl friends. We knowing it was a sensitive conversation were keeping our voices low, but with the female special sensory equipment and their foggy feminist thinking started wailing, and being near tears demanded we stop speaking because it isn't true.

tim
Good job Tim. Reminds me of the passage from St. Timothyconcerning "silly women". :popcorn:
So can anyone answer my question or can we assume bishop Williamson has inverted st. Paul's teaching?
(11-12-2011, 01:24 PM)Iolanthe Wrote:
(11-12-2011, 12:34 PM)Adam Wayne Wrote:
(11-12-2011, 12:12 PM)Iolanthe Wrote: How is it compatible with St Paul's teaching for men to love their wives as Christ loved the Church to say that men should love their work more than their wives?

Where did he say that? I must be reading with my special "male view" glasses on my nose again.

"As for the firmness, in all times and places where human nature has not been twisted out of all recognition, the man’s life revolves around his work while the woman’s life revolves around her family, starting with her man. If the man makes the woman the centre of his life, it is as though two tomato plants were clinging together – both will finish in the mud"

As I read this, I believe he is talking about the work assigned man and woman within the Sacrament of Holy Matrimony. In that vein, if the man makes the woman the center of his life he can hardly be expected to care, protect, and provide for her and the children. This analogy the bishop provides reminds me of sterile marriages due to contraception, or the fruit which comes out of it, which is, of course, so-called "homosexual marriage".

(11-12-2011, 01:14 PM)timoose Wrote: Not only do you guys have on your secret "men" glasses but the hearing aids too. This reminds me of a conversation I had with a cop friend (undercover narcotics) while we were pounding a few at the end of the bar, concerning abortion always being premeditated murder. At the other end was his wife and the barmaid and four of their girl friends. We knowing it was a sensitive conversation were keeping our voices low, but with the female special sensory equipment and their foggy feminist thinking started wailing, and being near tears demanded we stop speaking because it isn't true.

tim

Tim, because of what I have put in bold, I am confused to your postition here. Do you agree with us with the secret "men" glasses? Or are we, in your opinion, blinded by something here?
(11-12-2011, 03:26 PM)Adam Wayne Wrote: As I read this, I believe he is talking about the work assigned man and woman within the Sacrament of Holy Matrimony. In that vein, if the man makes the woman the center of his life he can hardly be expected to care, protect, and provide for her and the children. This analogy the bishop provides reminds me of sterile marriages due to contraception, or the fruit which comes out of it, which is, of course, so-called "homosexual marriage".

Strong, God-centered men, fulfilling their obligations according to their state of life are attracted to and attractive to strong women who are God-centered and fulfill their obligations.  The goal of the two is to get to Heaven and prepare the children if any, to get to Heaven.  His temporal work provides her the opportunity to anchor him and they both provide the structure and energy to keep the family on the straight and narrow.

By contrast, the woman who wants to be worshipped and the man that needs so much to be loved by the woman that he makes her  a false idol.  She takes the lead in the family, not even by taking the man's role but rather God's. That is a recipe for destruction both spiritually and temporally.  
(11-12-2011, 03:37 PM)Gerard Wrote:
(11-12-2011, 03:26 PM)Adam Wayne Wrote: As I read this, I believe he is talking about the work assigned man and woman within the Sacrament of Holy Matrimony. In that vein, if the man makes the woman the center of his life he can hardly be expected to care, protect, and provide for her and the children. This analogy the bishop provides reminds me of sterile marriages due to contraception, or the fruit which comes out of it, which is, of course, so-called "homosexual marriage".

Strong, God-centered men, fulfilling their obligations according to their state of life are attracted to and attractive to strong women who are God-centered and fulfill their obligations.  The goal of the two is to get to Heaven and prepare the children if any, to get to Heaven.  His temporal work provides her the opportunity to anchor him and they both provide the structure and energy to keep the family on the straight and narrow.

By contrast, the woman who wants to be worshipped and the man that needs so much to be loved by the woman that he makes her  a false idol.  She takes the lead in the family, not even by taking the man's role but rather God's. That is a recipe for destruction both spiritually and temporally. 

That's a very good post, Gerard. You put into words, what I could not. Excellent.

(11-12-2011, 03:02 PM)Iolanthe Wrote: So can anyone answer my question or can we assume bishop Williamson has inverted st. Paul's teaching?

I agree that men should love women so much that they make them do all the work. 
(11-12-2011, 03:26 PM)Adam Wayne Wrote: As I read this, I believe he is talking about the work assigned man and woman within the Sacrament of Holy Matrimony. In that vein, if the man makes the woman the center of his life he can hardly be expected to care, protect, and provide for her and the children.

By working hard to provide for his wife and children, he is making them the center of his life. This is what is meant by St. Paul's words. For Bishop Williamson to set up a dichotomy between those different things is nonsense. In way does man not make his wife and family the center of life, and then put all his effort into providing for them? It's a contradiction. Typical of B Williamson's confused and disordered thinking.

Quote:This analogy the bishop provides reminds me of sterile marriages due to contraception, or the fruit which comes out of it, which is, of course, so-called "homosexual marriage".

Irrelevant. Contraceptive and homosexual marriages are the result of people making THEMSELVES the center of their lives, rather than the person they're married to. (Or having a real marriage.)
(11-12-2011, 03:28 PM)Adam Wayne Wrote:

tim

Tim, because of what I have put in bold, I am confused to your position here. Do you agree with us with the secret "men" glasses? Or are we, in your opinion, blinded by something here?

The part which you have bolded is my attempt to kid on the square. My intention was to use it to explain that we do not have such things but because we are men and if we have been formed correctly, we see it exactly as you laid it out. In short I agree completely. Further I like you think Bishop Williamson is referring to our labor and not our love life. It is a man's job to love his wife and family that he does his best to provide for them. The woman's job is to run the house and raise the children for love of her husband and children. To me this all comes from the English word love which has too many meanings.  It can be used too many ways and then it is not reconcilable with itself. I hope this clears it up.

tim