Changes - Amended!

Starting on Wednesday, I will be doing something new in order to get people to support this forum financially. I'd originally had things set up so that in order to use Private Messaging, one had to subscribe. I've done away with that and have rearranged things. Please re-read below what comes with what level of subscription.

Gone from regular memberships will be the ability to search posts and post polls. These features will be given to supporting members along with additional features. It works like this:  those who contribute to FishEaters as subscribers (or by paying for a subscription up front by check or via PayPal) will be assigned to one of the following groups with the following features associated with their accounts, and will be able to use those features for as long as they remain subscribers:

Blue Fish Member: $4 per month subscription
  • A blue fish symbol will appear along with your name in posts
  • Ability to search posts 

Red Fish Member: $8 per month subscription
  • A red fish symbol will appear along with your name in posts
  • Ability to post polls 

Gold Fish Member:  $12+ per month subscription
  • A gold fish symbol will appear along with your name in posts 
  • Ability to post polls 
  • Ability to request notification on replies and new topics 
  • Ability to edit custom title

Subscribing/Paying Up Front via PayPal: When using PayPal to become a supporting member, you must indicate your forum username of I won't be able to add you to the membergroup that will allow you to use the features belonging to your group. If you'd rather give a lump sum rather than subscribe and give money monthly,  just let me know what sort of membership you are choosing so I can determine for how many months your member group's features should be available to you.

Paying Up Front via check: If you would like to become a supporting member by check, be sure to tell me your forum username and include a note as to what sort of membership you're wanting so I can determine for how many months the associated features should be available to you.

I don't like having to do this, but I simply can't afford to pay hundreds a month for the server, and too few people are subscribing and donating without this sort of extra impetus. Sorry, guys...  I really am...

To subscribe either way, please follow the instructions on this page: 

Interesting.

My only concern is this phrase:
Ability to request notification on replies and new topics

What does this mean?  Is this connected to the amazing links on the top:
Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.

Or is this another feature entirely?
(11-14-2011, 02:20 PM)CollegeCatholic Wrote: My only concern is this phrase:
Ability to request notification on replies and new topics

What does this mean? 

Notification on replies: This feature allows users to receive a notification whenever someone replies to a topic they subscribed to.

Notification on new topics: Notification on new topics is a feature that allows a user to receive an email every time a new topic is created on the board they subscribe to.
OK.

Was confuzzled.  :)
I'm confused, too.  If I can't afford to pay, does this mean I can no longer post?
(11-26-2011, 10:46 PM)Seraphina V Wrote: I'm confused, too.  If I can't afford to pay, does this mean I can no longer post?

You can still post. Just won't be able to post polls or use the search feature. 
(11-26-2011, 10:48 PM)Someone1776 Wrote:
(11-26-2011, 10:46 PM)Seraphina V Wrote:I'm confused, too.  If I can't afford to pay, does this mean I can no longer post?

Thanks.  I rarely used those anyway.  I really wish I could donate, though.  I like this forum.  But I just moved and playing catchup. :broke:
(11-26-2011, 10:54 PM)Seraphina V Wrote:
(11-26-2011, 10:46 PM)Seraphina V Wrote:I'm confused, too.  If I can't afford to pay, does this mean I can no longer post?

Thanks.  I rarely used those anyway.  I really wish I could donate, though.  I like this forum.  But I just moved and playing catchup. :broke:

In the Love of Jesus,

Business Suicide
As a retired Certified Public Accountant I had to market my business.  I did not make people purchase my mailed notification of my business to keep my  business in their mind.

As to marketing, your forum is the same
I simply sent out notifications through the mail, otherwise they forgot about me and went to other CPAs.

To require my customers to pay for notifications would have been BUSINESS SUICIDE.

"Ability to request notification on replies and new topics" should be a basic marketing at the most basic level.
I completely forgot about Fisheaters.  If I had received email-notification as a basic benefit I would not have forgot about Fisheaters.

In the Love of Jesus,

Jesus, I Trust In You
(12-26-2011, 05:48 PM)Jesus, I Trust In You Wrote:
(11-26-2011, 10:54 PM)Seraphina V Wrote:

In the Love of Jesus,

Business Suicide
As a retired Certified Public Accountant I had to market my business.  I did not make people purchase my mailed notification of my business to keep my  business in their mind.

As to marketing, your forum is the same
I simply sent out notifications through the mail, otherwise they forgot about me and went to other CPAs.

To require my customers to pay for notifications would have been BUSINESS SUICIDE.

"Ability to request notification on replies and new topics" should be a basic marketing at the most basic level.
I completely forgot about Fisheaters.  If I had received email-notification as a basic benefit I would not have forgot about Fisheaters.

In the Love of Jesus,

Jesus, I Trust In You

nice first post...
He is at the spam level.