the perfect dumpling??
So, I've successfully made chicken broth, cooked the chicken, all that.  I'm at the last stages of adding the dumplings.  I added them, and they disintegrated.  Very sad.  

How do I make a good dumpling?  One that lasts and perseveres?  I need dumplings that won't fall apart in the chicken stock.  How do I do this, peopleHuh?

From my delicious chicken and dumplings recipe:

2 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 - 1 cup ice water

Blend flour, salt, and shortening until mixture resembles corn meal. Slowly add cold water until it makes a dough (I usually only need slightly over 1/2 cup of water). Roll dough out thinly on a floured surface and cut into 1-inch strips. Cut (or just use hands) strips into bite-sized (or whatever size you want) pieces, and add them to simmering broth. Do not stir. Cook for 15 mins. Hope that helps!
Yes, but will it hold together in the brothHuh?
I don't make homemade dumplings.  I buy a few cans of cheapest buttermilk bisquits for my dumplings.  I qtr them, toss them in flour and then toss them in the pot.  They need to simmer over 45 minutes.
Nm
(11-18-2011, 08:15 PM)LaramieHirsch Wrote: Yes, but will it hold together in the brothHuh?

They've never fallen apart on me.

ETA: If you have problems where they're falling apart in the broth, then I suspect you are either using too much liquid in the dough or you are stirring them. You're not supposed to stir them while they are simmering.