Future of The Church - Next Pope
Not to be grim. I pray that God may grant BXVI many mores years of life. However, I was thinking about this...Pope BXVI has rocked many boats with liberal and traditional Catholics alike. Some view him too modern and some claim he is bringing the church back to the middle ages. So, do you see the next Pope being a more liberal person trying to take the changes made by VII even further? Or perhaps a Pope who is unapologetic about his Catholic faith and all of the rich traditions that come with it?

I know a lot of the Bishops are not very supportive of the EF. There's been crazy events when the faithful were scolded for not taking CITH, being told that kneeling is a mortal sin; Priests referring to mass as a meal, etc...

So, maybe since there are so many progressive thinkers that hold high positions in the church, we might end up with a modern Pope?

Scary to think that all the good that BXVI has done for the traditional minded could very well end with him.
(11-19-2011, 02:59 PM)MorganHiver Wrote: Scary to think that all the good that BXVI has done for the traditional minded could very well end with him.
most likely, unless Heaven intervene ???
His Holiness Raymond Burke aka Pope Peter II.
(11-19-2011, 03:13 PM)Old Salt Wrote: His Holiness Raymond Burke aka Pope Peter II.

Two thumbs up to you, Old Salt!!  :w2go:  :w2go:
I think the next pope is more likely to be a more conservative version of BXVI. All of the younger cardinals are on the side of BXVI. They are also more aware of the vicious nature of the older guard of modernists. As old as BXVI gets, so do the other bad apples, and they are by and large the older gang. So there is more hope in the younger cardinals and especially in BXVI's favourites.  Also, the next conclave will be faced with the issue you mention, and the young cardinals are seeing right now how paralysed the papacy can get when you have a pope who is perhaps well intentioned but still of the old weak type. I think they will look for a real leader, a younger and more vigorous version of BXVI and one who will enter the papacy a little angry at how things have been run, one with less patience and who may be willing to abandon this weird pacifist approach to disobedient bishops. A strong man. There are a few types like this in the curia today, but only God knows if their names will pop up, guys like Cards. Burke and Cipriani. God knows nobody expected Card. Ratzinger to be elected, and there you have it. But I definitely think there will be 2 types proposed, one very old and modernist, a Tettamanzi type, and one younger and going the totally opposite direction, a Cipriani type. And I think that we will not get a modernist type next time; we will get a vigorous reformer. I hope so, but I also think so. I think that both sides will 'radicalize' at the approach of the demise of BXVI, especially the modernists, as this will be their last chance, being a dying breed, so they will radicalize first, I think, and so show their hand, and I think that this will anger the other side, and so I think there will be a bit of bad blood at the next conclave, finally, thank God, so that we move away from the perpetual center, this middle road that goes forward but slowly.
(11-19-2011, 02:59 PM)MorganHiver Wrote: Scary to think that all the good that BXVI has done for the traditional minded could very well end with him.

Morgan,

Your fears have crossed my mind before, but I choose to be hopeful and I try to remember to pray for the holiness of the Church militant (the Holy Father especially) from time to time. I suppose we should all be praying for this constantly, myself including. What else can we do?

-Richard
(11-19-2011, 03:21 PM)Richard C Wrote:

Morgan,

Your fears have crossed my mind before, but I choose to be hopeful and I try to remember to pray for the holiness of the Church militant (the Holy Father especially) from time to time. I suppose we should all be praying for this constantly, myself including. What else can we do?

-Richard
Morgan
You mean an "anti Summorum Pontificum"?
(11-19-2011, 03:18 PM)AdOrientem Wrote:
(11-19-2011, 03:13 PM)Old Salt Wrote: His Holiness Raymond Burke aka Pope Peter II.

Two thumbs up to you, Old Salt!!  :w2go:  :w2go:

:w2go: :w2go: Have two more!!!

I think an African or Asian Pope is quite possible in the (hopefully far off) next conclave.  Then who knows how things wil lgo?  :cuckoo:
I believe, and hope, that Cardinal Arinze will be the next Pope. Come on, if the modernists have a problem we can all pull the race card on them