Future of The Church - Next Pope
(11-19-2011, 04:17 PM)Parmandur Wrote: I think an African or Asian Pope is quite possible in the (hopefully far off) next conclave.  Then who knows how things wil lgo?  :cuckoo:

Cardinal Arinze?

Personally I don't like to think about it now, but I will when it comes time.
(11-20-2011, 07:48 AM)Nic Wrote: Regardless of all this assumption, it is still my prayer that our current Holy Father quits waving both flags and becomes a true traditional Catholic.  I will always pray for the current pope due to the respect that I hold to the Chair, even though I am not afraid to resist him when what he says and does doesn't measure up with the yardstick of Tradition.  May God Bless Pope Benedict XVI and give him sight and courage to do what is necessary in these troubling times.

This.  The Holy Father is a very intelligent man and, though he does not always "measure up with the yardstick of Tradition", I do believe that his intellect and his faith could make for a great Pope if he were to have a decisive "conversion to Tradition".
Don't you think that BXVI is setting up office for the next Pope by changing the translation of the mass? From what I heard on YouTube its like some Taize version of the EF. Seems like he's getting the NO folks ready for tradition with baby Jesus steps. Perhaps I'm wrong. I hope I'm not.

In regard to the African pope...I only see that as a bad thing for Americans. Look at what happened when Obama ran for election. Every African American went crazy for this guy and voted for the first time in their lives...attempted to become politically informed...wore those lame Obama propaganda art shirts...and swore that having a black president in office would change everything for them "we finally did it!!!". My coworker is from Africa and she was so embarrassed by the behavior haha. But yeah, imagine all the people wearing a black pope shirt, overcrowding the church, none of them confirmed or baptized but still up receiving communion. Awesome!
(11-20-2011, 12:37 PM)Roger Buck Wrote: So I am very interested in your prediction Lisa. Would love you to expand.

Come on, tell me/us more about Cardinal Burke!

OK. I apologize upfront for my wordiness, but a little background is necessary. I have a very strong devotion to the Sacred Heart. I was introduced to this devotion by a priest in 1979 when the Novus Ordo was in full swing and nobody.. I mean, nobody (except this saintly priest) was promoting devotions of any kind. They were all brushed under the carpet and deemed “sentimental” and/or “medieval.”

On October 2, 1981 this priest came to my home and we had the Enthronement of the Sacred Heart and formally proclaimed Jesus as King of our Family. Through the 1980s and 1990s I asked to help promote the devotion to the Sacred Heart to subsequent pastors and they looked at me like I had three heads. When I brought up the Sacred Heart to friends I was given the silent treatment, or the big “eye roll.” But Jesus spoke to my heart, and he told me to be patient; that things will change.

Then I heard about Archbishop Burke of St. Louis. Here was a bishop who was devoted to the Sacred Heart and wrote about it often. He promoted it as the most effective means of living always in the company of Our Lord, and he bemoaned the loss of  the devotional life in the Church. Here's one letter from 2004 that was posted on the website Women for Faith & Family..

http://www.wf-f.org/SacredHeart_BurkeII.html

When he was Archbishop he encouraged pastors in his archdiocese to promote the Enthronement and published booklets to be placed in the back of all churches. Since then, I have seen the devotion to the Sacred Heart make a comeback (slowly but surely) in parishes and homes. More and more people are talking about it and doing it. When I bring up the subject these days, I don't get the “eye roll” anymore. Now we have First Friday devotions at our parish and in most parishes throughout my archdiocese. I attribute this growing interest to Archbishop Burke.

Now Raymond Burke is a Cardinal. Now he lives in Rome. I think Our Lord's hand is in this. I know we as Catholics are not required to believe in private revelations, but I know that, for many, devotion to the Sacred Heart, and living the consecration, leads to deeper conversion and greater love of Jesus in the Eucharist. It brings peace to the family – the core of society. If Cardinal Burke becomes the first American Pope, I believe he will be just what the Church needs at this moment in history.

[Image: enthrone_abpburke.jpg]
(11-20-2011, 02:52 PM)StrictCatholicGirl Wrote:
(11-20-2011, 12:37 PM)Roger Buck Wrote: So I am very interested in your prediction Lisa. Would love you to expand.

Come on, tell me/us more about Cardinal Burke!

OK. I apologize upfront for my wordiness, but a little background is necessary. I have a very strong devotion to the Sacred Heart. I was introduced to this devotion by a priest in 1979 when the Novus Ordo was in full swing and nobody.. I mean, nobody (except this saintly priest) was promoting devotions of any kind. They were all brushed under the carpet and deemed “sentimental” and/or “medieval.”

On October 2, 1981 this priest came to my home and we had the Enthronement of the Sacred Heart and formally proclaimed Jesus as King of our Family. Through the 1980s and 1990s I asked to help promote the devotion to the Sacred Heart to subsequent pastors and they looked at me like I had three heads. When I brought up the Sacred Heart to friends I was given the silent treatment, or the big “eye roll.” But Jesus spoke to my heart, and he told me to be patient; that things will change.

Then I heard about Archbishop Burke of St. Louis. Here was a bishop who was devoted to the Sacred Heart and wrote about it often. He promoted it as the most effective means of living always in the company of Our Lord, and he bemoaned the loss of  the devotional life in the Church. Here's one letter from 2004 that was posted on the website Women for Faith & Family..

http://www.wf-f.org/SacredHeart_BurkeII.html

When he was Archbishop he encouraged pastors in his archdiocese to promote the Enthronement and published booklets to be placed in the back of all churches. Since then, I have seen the devotion to the Sacred Heart make a comeback (slowly but surely) in parishes and homes. More and more people are talking about it and doing it. When I bring up the subject these days, I don't get the “eye roll” anymore. Now we have First Friday devotions at our parish and in most parishes throughout my archdiocese. I attribute this growing interest to Archbishop Burke.

Now Raymond Burke is a Cardinal. Now he lives in Rome. I think Our Lord's hand is in this. I know we as Catholics are not required to believe in private revelations, but I know that, for many, devotion to the Sacred Heart, and living the consecration, leads to deeper conversion and greater love of Jesus in the Eucharist. It brings peace to the family – the core of society. If Cardinal Burke becomes the first American Pope, I believe he will be just what the Church needs at this moment in history.

[Image: enthrone_abpburke.jpg]

WOW! No need to apologise for "wordiness" Lisa ... !

End of a long day here in Liverpool and I am too tired to explain better right now ...

But this post not only uncannily reflects the last few hours of this very day, it really says so much about the last few years of my life and the focus for the rest of my life ...

My life changed forever in Paray-le-Monial in Franc,  not only in the Chapel of Apparitions of His Most Sacred Heart, but perhaps even more so in the chapel a few hundred yards away, where lie the relics of St Claude de la Colombiere.

Too tired to look properly at your links, but I certainly will tomorrow.

I will simply say this for years now, everything, everything points me to this: the Restoration of the Cult of the Sacred Heart as critical to the future of the Church ...

Very, very, very very interesting. Thank you!!

Roger Buck Wrote:But this post not only uncannily reflects the last few hours of this very day, it really says so much about the last few years of my life and the focus for the rest of my life ...

My life changed forever in Paray-le-Monial in Franc,  not only in the Chapel of Apparitions of His Most Sacred Heart, but perhaps even more so in the chapel a few hundred yards away, where lie the relics of St Claude de la Colombiere.

I understand exactly what you mean when you say your “life changed forever.” Mine did too.  I would love to see Paray-le-Monial.. it's my big dream. How wonderful that you were there! I'm interested in hearing about the last few hours of your day too!

PS: Well pardon my lack of observation! I just noticed your blog in your sig line! I clicked on it and read.. now it's saved in my favorites.

God bless you, Roger !
(11-20-2011, 12:10 AM)Raskolnikov Wrote: Cardinal Burke or Cardinal Arinze would both be fantastic. I would love to see a real hardcore traditionalist bishop (e.g.,  Bishop Fellay) as the Pope, but I really doubt that will ever happen given teh controversy surrounding the situation of the SSPX. Cardinal Burke is our best bet, I think.

Let's just pray that Cardinal Shönborn doesn't have a chance.

Scenarios exist that would make me do drastic things not encouraged in discussion here.

That is one of them.

EDIT: we would rapidly end up about as Christian as the Anglicans.
(11-19-2011, 11:26 PM)richness of tradition Wrote:
(11-19-2011, 05:39 PM)Nic Wrote: Bishop Fellay = Pope Pius XIII.

That is what the Church needs.

I also thought of that.  If he does lead the sspx back to Rome it's possible he could be made a cardinal..

It wouldn't be the first time a cardinal in dispute with the papacy became pope. Martin V and Pius II were actually both conciliarists at one point.
I still think Cardinal Arinze will be the next pope.  He is old, but after two relatively long papacies, the Conclave will be happy with his age.
Cardinal Burke for Pope Gregory XVII!  I'd prefer another Leo but His Grace couldn't do that what with Leo being his middle name  :grin:.  Besides when you look at him you can see he's a 'Gregory' :).