Cardboard Cathedral
A Cardboard Cathedral for Earthquake-hit City 11/21/2011 9:12:50 AM

When an earthquake struck Christchurch, New Zealand in February, it destroyed the downtown and left one of the city's majestic cathedrals in ruins. Now plans are underway to build a temporary church-out of cardboard. WSJ's Lucy Craymer reports.

http://online.wsj.com/video/a-cardboard-...5D9BE.html

--------------

I'm sad that their beautiful building was damaged; Anglicans have some of the nicest churches. I do hope they are able to reconstruct quickly. But a temporary structure out of cardboard???  I don't think even Catholics would go that far. Split up the parish, rent a couple of trailers, anything else!  This looks so silly and seems like a fire hazard.
Yeah or even outside until they can afford to build a real cathedral, you know like the Irish did with the Mass on the Rock when the Faith was outlawed by the English.
Father John Rizzo FSSP did the FSSP Latin Masses in this Cathedral before the earthquake.
lol

What happens when it rains?
Christchurch Cathedral was a beautiful building, but when you visited there were money boxes at the end of every pew, and the only exit was through a gift store.

Notice that the site where Bishop Pompallier said New Zealand's first Mass ever gets zero attention lol.
(11-21-2011, 09:01 PM)Walty Wrote: lol

## Perhaps it will be folded up LOL
some homosexual hotel owners made a gingerbread copy of the original cathedral that can be viewed for a donation...
(11-21-2011, 09:01 PM)Walty Wrote: lol

If one watched the link in the OP, it is descrbed as fire proof, weather proof, and earthquake resistant.  I've seen firber board (an industry term used for "card board" in structural as opposed to packaging form) which is quite dense and coated for moisture resistence, so the concept seems very plausible, and it is very tough stuff.  $3 million seems like a lot for a temporary structure but again it is projected to have a ten year life span, the space would accomodate over 700 people, and it is stated that it could be errected in 4 months.
Interestingly enough there's now a smartphone app that you can use to walk around Christchurch and see what it used to look like. It works like that one that shows you the constellations when you point it at a section of sky and look at your phone.

Gives info on the history of each building &c.