Desperately looking for the saints on interior silence...
Friends :hello!:

This is a very simple thread. Please recommend works by the saints which help one with the philosophy, theological, ideal, and practice of holy, interior silence. I only ask for works by the saints because anything else may be filled with New Age rubbish, Quietism, or perhaps even Hesychasm. Let's stick within the bounds of orthodoxy.

It would be especially helpful to learn techniques, habits, and means of overcoming the appetites/passions which inflame the intellect via the imagination and memory. We sorely need helps like these in such a noisy age.
(11-22-2011, 10:48 AM)Laetare Wrote: Friends :hello!:

This is a very simple thread. Please recommend works by the saints which help one with the philosophy, theological, ideal, and practice of holy, interior silence. I only ask for works by the saints because anything else may be filled with New Age rubbish, Quietism, or perhaps even Hesychasm. Let's stick within the bounds of orthodoxy.

It would be especially helpful to learn techniques, habits, and means of overcoming the appetites/passions which inflame the intellect via the imagination and memory. We sorely need helps like these in such a noisy age.

Dom Chautard - The Soul of the Apostolate.  Not by a saint, but a classic very orthodox work, no rubbish in there.  The focus of this work is developing the contemplative life within the active,  It's awesome.  And very practical, in terms of suggestions (when to wake up, how to meditate, what to do when the mind wanders, what to meditate on, how to prepare the meditation the night before, other things to do when you feel dry, and so on).
Thank you very much NYcatholic... :) running right to look it up...
https://tanbooks.benedictpress.com/index...y-with-God  This is a great book by St. Alphonsus Ligouri

Also check out John Cassian's Conferences, but try and get all 24 conferences.  I have the ancient Christian Writers series copy, and like it.

And see what the Rule of St. Benedict has to say on silence.  You should be able to find it online.  I have Abbot Justin McMann's latin-english copy.