Mass on a troop ship at Iwo Jima 1945.
http://the-hermeneutic-of-continuity.blo...f-iwo.html
Great footage!

Thanks for sharing!
(11-23-2011, 03:11 PM)Vetus Ordo Wrote: Great footage!

Thanks for sharing!
Your welcome.
Sorry I did not imbed the cite as I am learning about that.
Thank you for sharing this blog post.  It's incredibly moving.  :pray2:
This looks like a Mass!
(11-23-2011, 04:32 PM)CollegeCatholic Wrote: This looks like a Mass!
It sure is.
With all the rocking and roling of the ship.

One thing that the blog commentater points out is interesting about this Mass.
When the priest distributes the Blessed Sacrament to the men he does not make the sign of the cross with it before putting Him on their tongue.

During Korean conflict my father was told by the ship Commander to lead a Catholic prayer service. Apparently Catholics were requesting and petitioning for a Catholic
prayer service (no Catholic chaplain aboard at that time).  Since alot of Southerners were saying "hey, you gonna rattle dem beads"? He decided to accept the
offer and with encouragement from a zealous convert. He prayed the breviary, Rosary and some psalms. Many Officers attended but after that the Southerners
toned it down.
(11-23-2011, 04:35 PM)Old Salt Wrote:
(11-23-2011, 04:32 PM)CollegeCatholic Wrote: This looks like a Mass!
It sure is.
With all the rocking and roling of the ship.

One thing that the blog commentater points out is interesting about this Mass.
When the priest distributes the Blessed Sacrament to the men he does not make the sign of the cross with it before putting Him on their tongue.

Beautiful! Thank you for posting it OS!

A Link from that same sheet, 3 days before D-Day.............reminds me of the stories my uncles used to tell me about confession and mass before flying off into battle. Truly wonderful of our most Blessed Lord to provide our boys such a grace before they went off into battle.

Most of those guys appeared to be of Irish or Polish descent. No wonder we won the war.
Great video! It's interesting that they would have a full Mass under those circumstances (those kind of waves, etc.). I've read some accounts from the 16th to 19th centuries where they had Communion services (from the second Confiteor on) on ships for that very reason. The benefits of offering Sacrifice before or during battle probably outweighed the risk of spillage, etc.