Copleston's History of Philosophy
(11-27-2011, 06:04 PM)Grasshopper Wrote: He also wrote a single volume on Aquinas, which is fairly short and fairly inexpensive. If you want to get a taste of his writing style and philosophic outlook, that might be a good place to start. Then, if you like that, you can dive into the magnum opus.

I found the book Aquinas very good and am planning on re-reading it. The only downside is that he seems to give credence to Evolution (supposedly bolstering the proof for final causes) but apart from them it's good.
I read the first 3 vols, loved them, but I'm not an expert attuned to any deficiencies. 
We used them as textbooks for our history of philosophy classes at OLGS. I think they are very solid. Sometimes, they don't get into the level of detail you're looking for, but you can't cover everything in a condensed history.
I say it can be okay for what it is.  It could have been better.  Bottom line is that the true history of philosophy, which is to say the history of those who love wisdom, which is to say true wisdom, has not been written yet.  Much of what are passed off as loving wisdom, are just high fallutin fancies.

A true history of philosophy would draw more from the Fathers, and Scholasticism, but there is very little on that.  There was a history of Thomism written in the late 1800's, and there are a few chapters in some books that give some sort of overview of some of scholasticism, but really, it is not even close to being written.  There is so much work to be done, and the task is very daunting.  It would require the skills of a polyglot, who has time and money, and perhaps the most wanting trait, the desire to do so.

It is frusterating.  I have bought every english history of philosophy that I know of written by Catholic priests.  I have many.  However, none of them tell the story from the viewpoint of true victors in the fight.  After Trent especially, it is very difficult to get a summation of what has happened in terms of positive developments.

I can just tell you that there was a period of decay around the 1700's with very few good philosophies being taught, even in ecclesiastical seminaries.  There was a revival in the late 1700's of Thomism, and a return to him, which developed and gained steam in the 1800's leading to Aeterni Patris of Pope Leo XIII of most happy memory.

I will tell you a little gem of knowledge.  There was a history of Philosophy written in the mid to late 1800's by a Cardinal Gonzales in 4 volumes.  It expounds and criticizes every system of philosophy from the viewpoint of pure Thomism, which is rare.  There is another work in english which does similar things in parts, and that is the two volumes by the late Fr. William Poland.  One was on Formal, the other on Material, Logic.  I remember the name of one of them was "The Laws of Thought," but I don't remember the other.  Anyways, he plays those moderns off as the fools that they are, with quite clever but at the same time, very serious examinations, to the point of being so good they are humorous.  He points out the inconsistencies in the thought of men like Hume, Berkeley, and Kant, and thus, why those systems can never be true or hold water.

But that is still not exactly what we are looking for.
Thanks for weighing in, Jordanawef.  :tiphat:
I always thought that Crusader Philly was Crusading Philologist's alter ego (or vice versa)
(12-02-2011, 03:58 PM)Graham Wrote: I always thought that Crusader Philly was Crusading Philologist's alter ego (or vice versa)

You're not the first to mention that: http://catholicforum.fisheaters.com/inde...=3439316.0

Kind of funny when you consider what eventually happened with the guy who posted that thread.
I have seen one traditional page recommend Fr. Copleston's A History of Philosophy series, and that very same page also recommended Msgr. Glenn's series of Philosophy manuals (which I know to be quite good).  So, in addition to Fr. Copleston, I'd suggest you search for Msgr. Glenn's The History of Philosophy: A Text Book for Undergraduates; it's only 383 pages long, but despite its brevity I think you'll find it to be right up your alley.

http://www.rosarychurch.net/vocations/studies.html