Orthodox priest on differences between RC and Orthodoxy
(11-29-2011, 11:40 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote: Sadly the Catholic Church has fallen so far from grace since Vatican II and is so confusing as to what it really teaches anymore that those outside the Church like the Orthodox see no real reason to take it seriously. Heck even some Catholics don't know what the Catholic Church teaches because things have been so muddled since Vatican II. The new Catechism pretty much is in line with the Orthodox on Original sin in that it doesn't mention the guilt of Adam. In fact I saw an Orthodox website use the quote from the new Catechism to pretty much say "now Rome teaches what we teach." Also, with JPII saying the filioque can be dropped for the Eastern Rites it looks (to outsiders and to people who just don't really spend much time thinking about such things) that Rome has changed her theology. Today Rome has become a laughingstock and some Orthodox see it as such. There is no real unity of faith whatsoever and no leadership to set things straight. No wonder they remain in schism. Why come into this mess?

Exactly.

I don't think there is much hope for re-union until we fix our own crisis first, they basically view us as a joke.

Also gotta keep in mind that Anglophone Orthodoxy has a strong streak of Protestant thought, due to convertitis.  So the ahistorical indulgences thing might be Luther sneaking into the Ikonostasis.
(11-30-2011, 03:11 PM)Parmandur Wrote: Also gotta keep in mind that Anglophone Orthodoxy has a strong streak of Protestant thought, due to convertitis.  So the ahistorical indulgences thing might be Luther sneaking into the Ikonostasis.

I don't know. In my experience, Protestant converts to Orthodoxy are still pretty hostile to Protestantism. They just see it as one strain of a generally corrupt Western Christianity. Really, I think Orthodoxy for a lot of these people plays the same role as Buddhism for more leftist Westerners. Both religions end up getting filled with a lot of feel-good stuff by Westerners who don't have much of a grip on the history of either Orthodoxy or Buddhism. So, I think a lot of the weirder stuff you see from some Western converts to Orthodoxy is just a result of their wanting a Christianity without all of the grim and oppressive stuff that they like pretend is a Western innovation.
(11-30-2011, 03:32 PM)Crusading Philologist Wrote:
(11-30-2011, 03:11 PM)Parmandur Wrote: Also gotta keep in mind that Anglophone Orthodoxy has a strong streak of Protestant thought, due to convertitis.  So the ahistorical indulgences thing might be Luther sneaking into the Ikonostasis.

I don't know. In my experience, Protestant converts to Orthodoxy are still pretty hostile to Protestantism. They just see it as one strain of a generally corrupt Western Christianity. Really, I think Orthodoxy for a lot of these people plays the same role as Buddhism for more leftist Westerners. Both religions end up getting filled with a lot of feel-good stuff by Westerners who don't have much of a grip on the history of either Orthodoxy or Buddhism.

Well, for one thing, it contributes Anglo-Orthodox types to equate St. Augustine with John Calvin, as that is their experience of Western theology.  Sure, they are hostile to Protestantism  *AND* Catholicism, but it is a weird mixture.
(11-30-2011, 03:38 PM)Parmandur Wrote:
(11-30-2011, 03:32 PM)Crusading Philologist Wrote:

I don't know. In my experience, Protestant converts to Orthodoxy are still pretty hostile to Protestantism. They just see it as one strain of a generally corrupt Western Christianity. Really, I think Orthodoxy for a lot of these people plays the same role as Buddhism for more leftist Westerners. Both religions end up getting filled with a lot of feel-good stuff by Westerners who don't have much of a grip on the history of either Orthodoxy or Buddhism.

Well, for one thing, it contributes Anglo-Orthodox types to equate St. Augustine with John Calvin, as that is their experience of Western theology.  Sure, they are hostile to Protestantism  *AND* Catholicism, but it is a weird mixture.

Yeah, the former Protestantism definitely plays a role, along with a sort of odd orientalism and even a bit of New Ageism sometimes. Converts to Orthodoxy can have a pretty strange mix of beliefs sometimes.
(11-30-2011, 03:22 AM)K3vinhood Wrote: They basically view us as a joke.

Well that's not true at all.
It's kind of odd that you pick an article from a priest from one of the most reclusive Old Calendarist sects there is to have a discussion about Orthodoxy and Catholicism. You can't assume his beliefs are any more in line with mainstream Orthodoxy than some of the more reclusive sedevacantist are with Catholicism.
(11-30-2011, 10:32 PM)Silouan Wrote: It's kind of odd that you pick an article from a priest from one of the most reclusive Old Calendarist sects

I doubt sarahraphael is aware. I sure wouldn't know the difference. This is good to know, though.

(11-28-2011, 04:09 PM)ImpyTerwilliger Wrote: As an Orthodox Christian

? Just looked at your profile. Breaks my heart. :(
(11-30-2011, 10:52 PM)m.PR Wrote:
(11-30-2011, 10:32 PM)Silouan Wrote: It's kind of odd that you pick an article from a priest from one of the most reclusive Old Calendarist sects

I doubt sarahraphael is aware. I sure wouldn't know the difference. This is good to know, though.

They literally aren't in communion with anyone but themselves. Most Old Calendarist groups can at least find some other group willing to be in communion with them.
(11-30-2011, 11:10 PM)Silouan Wrote:
(11-30-2011, 10:52 PM)m.PR Wrote:

They literally aren't in communion with anyone but themselves. Most Old Calendarist groups can at least find some other group willing to be in communion with them.

Oh, really? I had no idea....  Huh?