Orthodox priest on differences between RC and Orthodoxy
(11-30-2011, 10:32 PM)Silouan Wrote: It's kind of odd that you pick an article from a priest from one of the most reclusive Old Calendarist sects there is to have a discussion about Orthodoxy and Catholicism. You can't assume his beliefs are any more in line with mainstream Orthodoxy than some of the more reclusive sedevacantist are with Catholicism.

This is helpful to know, thanks SIlouan.

So do you want to mention on what points mainstream Orthodoxy would differ from the priest who wrote the article?
(12-01-2011, 04:38 AM)sarahraphael Wrote:
(11-30-2011, 11:10 PM)Silouan Wrote:
(11-30-2011, 10:52 PM)m.PR Wrote:
(11-30-2011, 10:32 PM)Silouan Wrote: It's kind of odd that you pick an article from a priest from one of the most reclusive Old Calendarist sects

I doubt sarahraphael is aware. I sure wouldn't know the difference. This is good to know, though.

They literally aren't in communion with anyone but themselves. Most Old Calendarist groups can at least find some other group willing to be in communion with them.

Oh, really? I had no idea....  ???

It's not as hard to tell as some people make it out to be. Here is a list of the primates of the canonical Orthodox Churches. If the individual in question is not in communion with one of these bishops they are not canonical.
(12-01-2011, 11:45 AM)newyorkcatholic Wrote:
(11-30-2011, 10:32 PM)Silouan Wrote: It's kind of odd that you pick an article from a priest from one of the most reclusive Old Calendarist sects there is to have a discussion about Orthodoxy and Catholicism. You can't assume his beliefs are any more in line with mainstream Orthodoxy than some of the more reclusive sedevacantist are with Catholicism.

This is helpful to know, thanks SIlouan.

So do you want to mention on what points mainstream Orthodoxy would differ from the priest who wrote the article?

A lot of the points have a grain of truth but the way he presents them are often caricatures of reality. Most mainstream Orthodox would not consider the bulk of his points as grounds for separation.