Two Strange Requests

OK, I'm turning to you guys for some assistance with two sorta odd requests I have. The first and most important:

Odd Request One) I have a new friend who is a prisoner, baptized Catholic and fallen away, whom I've sort of taken under my wing and want to help as best I can.  I would love to get to him a Rosary, some holy cards (especially ones that are focused on Christ and Our Lady), and some sort of catechetical book or two. I have lots of holy cards, but they're still in boxes -- God knows which ones -- in my garage since my move. I have no Rosary that would suffice because the Rosary -- believe it or not, according to Directive 4202 of the New York State Correctional Facilities -- must be black (and can't be valued at more than $50, BTW).  I'm not in a good position to buy books right now, either. So I ask if any of you might have spare items such as these that you'd be willing to donate to the cause of helping a "nice Italian boy" who made some mistakes in his life get back on the right road.  And, in any case, prayers offered for him would be very, VERY appreciated (his name is Michael). 

If you have any such items you'd be willing to send to me so I can send them to him, my address is:

Tracy
        736 North Bosart Avenue
        Indianapolis, IN  46201-2955  U.S.A.

Odd Request Two) This request is a selfish one:  If any of you are familiar with the Post Secret website and books, I am after the same sorts of postcards -- all sent ANONYMOUSLY.  I don't want "the goods" on anyone, etc., but I do want such items to make a very interesting scrapbook -- something that people can pick up, look through, and maybe recognize themselves a bit, come to see how we're all so similar underneath our differences, maybe learn some empathy in reading about some of the trials people go through silently, with no one knowing, reading the thoughts of someone they've never met and can't identify -- but maybe can identify with. The cards could be mere text, or just art (drawing, collage, photography added, etc.), or (best of all) some of both. But my goal is to get little insights into people's lives that are not shared very often with others -- and, again, to get these bits of insight ANONYMOUSLY.

Actually, I'd be thrilled, too, to receive anything anyone reading this might deem "scrappable" (i.e., worthy of being put in a scrapbook) -- bizarre articles, quotes, pictures, doodles, art, thoughts, strange "found ephemera," ephemera of other types that sort of "stand on their own" as things that are visually interesting and/or thought-provoking...

If you're willing to send such things along, just stick them in an envelope and mail to my address above.  This request is open-ended, with no time limit or anything. And, again, the more anonymous with anything private, the better!
(11-29-2011, 10:33 AM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: Odd Request One) I have a new friend who is a prisoner, baptized Catholic and fallen away, whom I've sort of taken under my wing and want to help as best I can.  I would love to get to him a Rosary, some holy cards (especially ones that are focused on Christ and Our Lady), and some sort of catechetical book or two. I have lots of holy cards, but they're still in boxes -- God knows which ones -- in my garage since my move. I have no Rosary that would suffice because the Rosary -- believe it or not, according to Directive 4202 of the New York State Correctional Facilities -- must be black (and can't be valued at more than $50, BTW).  I'm not in a good position to buy books right now, either. So I ask if any of you might have spare items such as these that you'd be willing to donate to the cause of helping a "nice Italian boy" who made some mistakes in his life get back on the right road.  And, in any case, prayers offered for him would be very, VERY appreciated (his name is Michael). 

I can send you an Imitation of Christ and rosary. I wish I had a Baltimore #3. Everyone should have one.

I can make one worth $0 with the rest of the ebony beads. They are black wood. Are there restriction on the colour of the rest of the rosary? Silver metal colour will be used.
I could post some holy cards! :)
I have a Sunday missal I never use. It's less than a year old. I know he won't be able to go to the TLM in prison, but the prayers and short doctrinal lessons might be of some help.
I have an old copy of Archbishop Michael Sheehan's "Catholic Doctrine." It's a brilliant, clear and scholarly exposition of the Catholic faith, originally written for high school students. It's a really great catechism. Yesterday I purchased the new revised edition, so I don't have any need for my old copy, but it's still in great condition. I'll send it to you; hopefully your friend in prison will find it beneficial. I'll slip in some holy cards, too.

You guys are great! THANK YOU SO MUCH!  I am wanting to send him a little package in time for Christmas, and these things will round it all out soooooooo nicely and will be much more important than pepperoni and cheese and candy (which I intend to send).

Su, no mention was made in the directive I saw about Rosary chain color, etc., but for some reason they insist on black-colored beads, and that the value of the Rosary be less than $50 (wonder how they go about evaluating that. And I wonder why they insist on black beads!) They are also weird about the colors black, orange, and red (blue isn't in there, so it doesn't seem to be an old Crips and Bloods thing) when it comes to clothes. Strange stuff...
(11-29-2011, 10:08 PM)su Wrote:
(11-29-2011, 10:33 AM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: Odd Request One) I have a new friend who is a prisoner, baptized Catholic and fallen away, whom I've sort of taken under my wing and want to help as best I can.  I would love to get to him a Rosary, some holy cards (especially ones that are focused on Christ and Our Lady), and some sort of catechetical book or two. I have lots of holy cards, but they're still in boxes -- God knows which ones -- in my garage since my move. I have no Rosary that would suffice because the Rosary -- believe it or not, according to Directive 4202 of the New York State Correctional Facilities -- must be black (and can't be valued at more than $50, BTW).  I'm not in a good position to buy books right now, either. So I ask if any of you might have spare items such as these that you'd be willing to donate to the cause of helping a "nice Italian boy" who made some mistakes in his life get back on the right road.  And, in any case, prayers offered for him would be very, VERY appreciated (his name is Michael). 

I can send you an Imitation of Christ and rosary. I wish I had a Baltimore #3. Everyone should have one.

I can make one worth $0 with the rest of the ebony beads. They are black wood. Are there restriction on the colour of the rest of the rosary? Silver metal colour will be used.

I have a couple extra copies of the Baltimore Catichism.  I was trying to figure out what to send... :)
I make inexpensive military Rosaries, and they are olive drab green cord with black plastic beads and crucifix.  On the way.  Comes with a Holy Card and traditional Rosary instructions.  In the mail today....

(11-30-2011, 09:08 AM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: You guys are great! THANK YOU SO MUCH!  I am wanting to send him a little package in time for Christmas, and these things will round it all out soooooooo nicely and will be much more important than pepperoni and cheese and candy (which I intend to send).

Su, no mention was made in the directive I saw about Rosary chain color, etc., but for some reason they insist on black-colored beads, and that the value of the Rosary be less than $50 (wonder how they go about evaluating that. And I wonder why they insist on black beads!) They are also weird about the colors black, orange, and red (blue isn't in there, so it doesn't seem to be an old Crips and Bloods thing) when it comes to clothes. Strange stuff...
(11-30-2011, 09:08 AM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: Su, no mention was made in the directive I saw about Rosary chain color, etc., but for some reason they insist on black-colored beads, and that the value of the Rosary be less than $50 (wonder how they go about evaluating that. And I wonder why they insist on black beads!)
They probably insist on black beads because it is a common neutral colour. Prison officials have to be very careful about gang symbolism and colours. By having a uniform policy, well, it is uniform. It is a very specific regulation though. Is it for all chaplets or just rosaries?

The value would be a summation of the parts and in this case, it would be well under $50.

Quote:They are also weird about the colors black, orange, and red (blue isn't in there, so it doesn't seem to be an old Crips and Bloods thing) when it comes to clothes. Strange stuff...

It may also have to do with what prison officials wear or other colour coding within the prison.
Alan, you're lovely! Thank you!

Su, I bet you're right about the colors.  As to the directive itself on the matter (http://www.docs.state.ny.us/Directives/4202.pdf) it just says:  "Rosary or Dhikr beads may be possessed in one's own hands but not worn or displayed; Rosary beads for the purpose of prayer or Dhikr beads for the purpose of Dhkiring (remembering Allah's attributes). Only the color black will be allowed into the facility." Strangely written thing there, but, at any rate, "Dhikr beads" (which I'd never heard of) are also mentioned...