Two Strange Requests
(11-30-2011, 09:21 AM)Joamy Wrote: have a couple extra copies of the Baltimore Catichism.  I was trying to figure out what to send... :)

Missed this! THANKS, Joamy! God love ya!
Anything in prison that's colorful, sparkly, shiny, etc... can be taken apart and used for jewelry and given as "gifts" or to show how one is better than another.  It can also be used as a form of commerce in trading.  For some reason, black just doesn't have the allure that colors do.  I'm a little surprised they don't specify small and plastic.

Vox, please be very, very careful about how involved you get with this man.  Most prisoners are master manipulators and will use whatever means necessary to fulfill their ends.  Even if it's just a way to get their kicks.  There's not alot for them to do, so they can come up with some pretty nasty ways to alleviate their boredom.  Listen to your intuition.  If there are any red flags at all, drop it like it's hot, as they say.  Just a friendly heads up, I know you're a grown woman and not stupid.
(11-30-2011, 05:05 PM)dymphna17 Wrote: Anything in prison that's colorful, sparkly, shiny, etc... can be taken apart and used for jewelry and given as "gifts" or to show how one is better than another.  It can also be used as a form of commerce in trading.  For some reason, black just doesn't have the allure that colors do.  I'm a little surprised they don't specify small and plastic.

Vox, please be very, very careful about how involved you get with this man.  Most prisoners are master manipulators and will use whatever means necessary to fulfill their ends.  Even if it's just a way to get their kicks.  There's not alot for them to do, so they can come up with some pretty nasty ways to alleviate their boredom.  Listen to your intuition.  If there are any red flags at all, drop it like it's hot, as they say.  Just a friendly heads up, I know you're a grown woman and not stupid.

Thanks, Dymphna. Very much  :)  He's never asked for a thing, and I am wary (though I do tend to be a trusting person). You're right that one should be wary when dealing with a complete stranger, esp. one that's in prison. Just to be clear, though: this is a totally "out of concern for a fellow human being, fallen Catholic, and fellow paisan'" thing and not a romantic thing... I decided to practice one of the 7 Works of Corporal Mercy that I could do from my home, without a car, so settled on "visiting the imprisoned," read through some prisoners' pleas for pen pals, knew immediately he was the one to write to, and am wanting to fulfill the act of mercy through letters, sending books, "catechising" on the sly , making sure he has a few things to make the rest of his sentence more bearable...  If how he "comes off" in his letters is reflective of what he is truly like (an "if," I know), he's a basically good guy, really, who needs love and Christ and help. So I'll try to "make it so" :)
Hello,

I have actually never posted before but I enjoy reading the different threads here. 

I just wanted to make a quick post regarding your request (which I think is very important, btw)  however, it concerns me that you have posted your full name and address.  I realize that you are an adult and have every right to put whatever info about yourself you want out wherever you want; however, I would suggest that you take off your very private info (full name and address) and perhaps request PM's if people are able to send the items to you.  I am just concerned for your safety as you really never know what freak is reading and could do something bad with this info.  Forgive me if I am overstepping my boundaries in my opinion/suggestion.

In any event, may God bless you and your intentions to help this prisoner!
(12-03-2011, 04:24 PM)alliekd Wrote: Hello,

I have actually never posted before but I enjoy reading the different threads here. 

I just wanted to make a quick post regarding your request (which I think is very important, btw)  however, it concerns me that you have posted your full name and address.  I realize that you are an adult and have every right to put whatever info about yourself you want out wherever you want; however, I would suggest that you take off your very private info (full name and address) and perhaps request PM's if people are able to send the items to you.  I am just concerned for your safety as you really never know what freak is reading and could do something bad with this info.   Forgive me if I am overstepping my boundaries in my opinion/suggestion.

There are times when it is not a bad thing to post depending on the personal circumstances and online presence. I have had my email, name, and mailing address online for years without any issues.

On the other hand...
[Image: a-minus-minus.png]
(12-03-2011, 04:24 PM)alliekd Wrote: I just wanted to make a quick post regarding your request (which I think is very important, btw)  however, it concerns me that you have posted your full name and address.  I realize that you are an adult and have every right to put whatever info about yourself you want out wherever you want; however, I would suggest that you take off your very private info (full name and address) and perhaps request PM's if people are able to send the items to you.  I am just concerned for your safety as you really never know what freak is reading and could do something bad with this info.   Forgive me if I am overstepping my boundaries in my opinion/suggestion.

Alliekd, I don't think you've overstepped boundaries at all; it's nice to be cared for. Thank you :)  You are right that I need to be careful, and others have kindly told me to be careful, too. And you are all totally correct, of course.  In my case, I have my address up anyway on the donations page so I can take checks from people who want to subscribe or donate. If I had a car, I'd get a P.O. Box maybe (depending on how much that costs; I have no idea!), but for now, I will just hope my Guardian Angel keeps an eye on me and will hope for the best...

You say that you've never posted before; wish you would! FE could use more apparently charitable souls around!
(12-04-2011, 07:39 PM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: Alliekd, I don't think you've overstepped boundaries at all; it's nice to be cared for. Thank you :)  You are right that I need to be careful, and others have kindly told me to be careful, too. And you are all totally correct, of course.  In my case, I have my address up anyway on the donations page so I can take checks from people who want to subscribe or donate. If I had a car, I'd get a P.O. Box maybe (depending on how much that costs; I have no idea!), but for now, I will just hope my Guardian Angel keeps an eye on me and will hope for the best...
PO Boxes are great and rather cheap. I had one. I do not have one now because my ID card is expired and I can't be bothered to renew it (speaking of which, I will start to do that today. Four years is too long to be without an ID).

However, you may want to check the UPS boxes. They have an actual address and are more versatile.
(11-30-2011, 05:05 PM)dymphna17 Wrote: If there are any red flags at all, drop it like it's hot, as they say. 

Ahaha, no, DON'T drop it like it's hot is what you mean.  :mrwinky: