Why do some people receive the gift of faith and not others?
(11-30-2011, 12:48 AM)Aragon Wrote: I know that Faith, Hope, and Charity are all gifts from God that are given to us with baptism and through the other sacraments (provided we are properly disposed), but why do some people receive these gifts and others don't? Nothing we do can earn any of the theological virtues, right? They're completely gratuitous gifts from God. I sometimes wonder why I, raised without any religion, have now been given this gift when I know many other people who were raised in the Church, baptised, prayed, sent to catechism, and yet don't have this gift. There are even people who have had the benefit of being raised in solid traditional families who end up lapsing once they move out of the family home. If anything, looking at it from a purely naturalistic view, they should be the religious ones and not me. So my question is why do some people receive the gift of Faith and others don't? Does God offer the gift of Faith to all people and some choose to reject it? Or does he only offer it to a few? If the latter then it seems God was being a lot more generous one hundred years ago.

I would be interested in hearing any thoughts you guys have on this question.

Ultimately, it is a mystery, but, in the practical order of things, we must act as if everything depends on our own wills, and this primarily and in the highest principle of life, equates to primarily prayer, and secondarily penance.  In order to ensure our salvation, and that we do this life given to us correctly, this gift of life which in better men can produce all miracles, we must pray, and act according to Catholic principles.  I am afraid that if too much weight is given to the mystery aspect, or to gratuitous gift from God, then it leads to the heresy of inaction, every so prevalent in the 1940's and 1950's.  We must grasp this life with all the vigor we can muster, and do what we can, in the most satisfying way, satisfying to God, that is, because this is how God operates in souls.

When Divine Grace comes into souls, it but rarely works in mystical, extraordinary ways, but rather, the Ordinary ways.  The Ordinary ways of the Soul are the Memory, Intellect, and Will, and we all know that these 3 are within our control, and under the domain of our free will, and it is thus that the Lord expects us to work.  We can not sit and wait for extraordinary inspiration, or some sort of extraoridinary graces to descend from God's throne into our minds to inspire us to act.  The Good Lord expects us to do his will here and now, because indeed, everything we need is being given to us before we ask it, that is the Faith we have, a real Faith, which exists here and now.  Here and now, there is Catholic wisdom sitting on bookshelves everywhere, enough to discern the situation in Church, and lead a Holy Life of an Alter-Christ.  When sorting our spiritual problems, for ourselves and others, we must meditate on what is given to us here and now, "Where can I find an answer to this O' Lord?"  and then we do not listen for inspiration from above, but rather first, think about what exists in this world here and now, because these things are given to us here and now, and in almost all cases, are beyond sufficient.

Our Religion is a Religion of Reality, which is Divine Creation.

My thoughts specifically toward your question is that they do not have the Faith because they do not pray.  There is nothing more intimately bound up with our salvation than prayer, and also, same-wise, there is nothing easier.  Why some souls pray, and others do not, again, there we have a mystery of grace, but I think the message to those who inquire about such questions is that we should always encourage prayer always, and remind souls that they need to fight to pray, and do violence to themselves, their wills, and anything including an angel from heaven who said to do otherwise.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Why do some people receive the gift of faith and not others? - by jordanawef - 12-06-2011, 11:11 PM