Why do some people receive the gift of faith and not others?
(12-09-2011, 10:51 AM)Walty Wrote: Melkite, the idea that man's reception or rejection of God's grace lies with the man, that it is he who makes the final decision and not God, is the heresy of Semipelagianism.  It has been condemned by the Church on numerous occasions.

I believe that Molinism and Thomism can both be validly held by Catholics as neither have been declared as dogma, but, in looking at dogma and Scripture, Thomism seems to obviously be the right choice, in my opinion.  I wouldn't say that one has cut themselves off from the Church for disagreeing, however.

But is my understanding of what you are saying correct, or am I exaggerating it somehow?  How could Molinism and Thomism both be valid?  They seem irreconcilable to me, if my understanding of Thomism on this point is correct.  If one doesn't cut themselves off from the Church by rejecting the Thomist view, then wouldn't it mean that the council of Orange's canons aren't actually infallible?  Or does that mean that an interpretation that puts more emphasis on the will of man in responding to God's grace is acceptable and not inherently contrary to it?

Messages In This Thread
Re: Why do some people receive the gift of faith and not others? - by Melkite - 12-09-2011, 10:59 AM